Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Lily's POV

Going into work that night for my evening shift that same night was awkward; on the way there, I was praying that Ethan wasn't there but luck was definitely not on my side tonight. He was there and I felt like he was giving me glares during my entire shift. He was usually in his office but when he wasn't he gave me glares that I didn't like.

I still felt embarrassed for what had happened this morning. He thought Harry and I had slept together, but absolutely nothing happened last night. I had to sleep on the couch. He just thought that because Harry was shirtless and his hair was made a mess. Anybody would have thought that. Who knows what he thinks of me now. He probably thinks I’m some slut and that I sleep with guys every night even after I go on dates.

My shift was long and stressful. Once it was finally over, I got all my belongings and lightly knocked on Ethan's office.

"Come in," Ethan called, obviously not knowing who it was.

Once I peeked my head inside, his expression changed and he somehow looked hurt.

"Hey, I just wanted to talk to you for a bit," I smiled sheepishly, taking a seat on a chair in front of his desk. He didn't say anything as if he was giving me the silent treatment. I awkwardly continued. "I wanted to talk you about this morning."

He spoke up. "It's okay Lily. I told you that it's none of my concern what you do. You don't have to explain it to me." He tried to sound confident but he didn't have much luck.

"But I want to. Nothing Happened between Harry and I. He just babysat Angie while we were on our date and he slept over. That's it," I tried to explain.

He raised an eyebrow. "And that's why he wasn't wearing a shirt?"

"He's always shirtless," I pointed out.

"Well, Lily. I believe you. I know that you're not that kind of person, considering you have a daughter. But if you don't like me that way, you should just tell me."

He was way too nice and it made me feel guilty. I practically made a fool out of him. I hated him for being so damn nice.

"I do like─"

He shook his head as he fiddled with his pen. "No you don't, Lily. I saw the way you looked at Harry, and the way he looked at you back. You both like each other and I'm not going to be the one to get in between you two."

I wanted to strangle him for being so nice.

"No I─”

"Just admit it, Lily. I don't want us getting any closer if you're still not over your ex."

So I practically make a fool out of him and he's this nice to me? But is he right? Am I still not over Harry?

I looked down at my lap before looking up to meet his ocean blue eyes. "You know what? I honestly don't know. I am so confused; I don't even know what I want." I ran a hand through my hair in frustration.

"That's fine. That's why we should stay friends. No heart feelings," he smiled sweetly.

"Thanks for understanding," I smiled back. He nodded in response, also as signal that the conversation was over and that I should leave.

I quietly left his office and breathed out a breath that I didn't know I was holding in. So he just practically friend zoned me, but I'm not complaining. I was planning to do the same to him. But he wasn't lying when he told me that he believed me, right? I'm glad I got that out of the way and that things will no longer be awkward between Ethan and I.