20: Home/Town

I park Jorge and immediately know something is up. The front door is open, the glass windowpane shattered like a fist had been through it. I know because I had done the same things many times before– something that came with the superhero territory. Phantom had me drop him off at Crumbles, so he was nowhere to be seen. I get out of the car, and walk towards the door cautiously. My mind wonders if Maine had left and I push against the doorframe to open it more so I can fit through.

"I'm baaaaack!" I yell to nobody except maybe the intruder. I don't know why I state my presence, but it makes me feel better to know that I won't scare the person if he or she is still there.

"Shopping was eventful, but I didn't come back with anything," I continue as I pray that I'm just talking to myself an no someone who will try to kill me. "I mean, I saw stuff I liked but it was so expensive even the Cardinales couldn't be able to afford it. That's my luck I guess..." I trail off and walk towards the kitchen, setting my keys down on the counter.

"Kells? Mmm..." A voice grumbled. There was heavy coughing as I look behind the counter to see Mrs. Henderson lying on her side, a trail of blood running down the side of her mouth. There are a few broken tiles on her left and I figure someone smashed her head into the ground.

"What happened?" I gasp, kneeling on the floor to help her. She should not be awake at the moment. Blood trails down the side of her head onto her Under Armor workout shirt.

She winces, "Don't touch me. I think I have some broken ribs. Go call an ambulance."

I reach for my cell phone and dial 9-1-1, telling the voice what I found.

"Is there anyone else hurt?" the man asks.

I pause and my mouth gapes open, "I'm not sure, I haven't looked. However, I know for sure one person is."

"We will send an ambulance right away, hold on."

I release a sigh, "Will do. Bye."

As the line goes dead I stuff my phone into my back pocket and head towards the staircase. There are boot prints imprinted into the fancy and expensive carpet which is not a good sign. I groan and stoop down to look at them closer. They're definitely man shoe prints and there aren't any men in the Henderson's family that go down the stairs.

"Aw forget it! There better not be someone down here or else I will legit crap my pants. Like I am so serious RN, it's not even remotely funny. So be a gentleman— or woman because villains come in both sexes and I am not sexist—and state your presence," I gulp as my feet hit the bottom step. I flip on a light and to my surprise there isn't anyone there, but on the wall is a dagger which was stabbed into the drywall, a note attached to the hilt.

If you want her then she'll die.

I stare at the note, attempting to comprehend the saying. It made no sense at all. When I realize the meaning, and the subject of the note, the note falls to the floor as I run to Anna's room and throw her bedroom door open so hard it bangs against the wall.

"ANNA!" I scream. "ANNA!!! THIS IS NOT FUNNY! ANNA?"

Her bed isn't made, her comforter lays on the floor, which is not something my best friend would allow unless it was finals week, which it wasn't.

She was taken.

I collapse onto the floor and hold my head in my hands, trying not to cry. This is what Phantom and I were trying to avoid! How come it happened the minute I accepted Maine's challenge? Was she behind the threat to Anna? I muse on it for a moment and decide that there were two separate stories going on at once. My story and Anna's. Shame I don't know much of Anna's story. I dwell on the thought and come up with something small.