9: Front Lawn

When I wake up, my head feels like a brick and my face is nestled into the front lawn of Anna's home. I jerk up and think about all the ants that could be on my face. I don't particularly like grass, and if it's freshly mowed I hate it even more. This lawn was always freshly cut. Mr. Henderson is very peculiar about it being cut and inch tall. 

I get up and run my gloved hand across the side of my mouth. My cheeks redden as I realize that I totally drooled and I take a big gulp, looking around. Nobody has seen me. Me? I reach up to the short platinum blonde. Yeah, I am Chaos still, I breathe a sigh of relief. What would I have done if I am Kelsey? Phantom is nowhere I can sense him, and I walk up to the front door.

Oh, Mother please don't be here! I think as I walk up to the front door. When I reach it I realize that maybe coming from the front door isn't the best idea if Maine was in there or not. I turn on the heel of my chunky combat boots and walk past the garage towards the back gate. With extreme caution I unlatch the gat and swing the gate wide enough so that it wouldn't creak open.

If Maine wasn't here and Anna or her parents saw me, I'd have lots is explaining to do. It was so strange for someone to enter the house through the back door. I didn't want to come off as peculiar and make Anna wonder. When she wants to know something then there is no way for her not to know it. That is why I need to be careful as I look for any tell-tale signs of my mother's pleasant visit discreetly as possible.

The back door requires a key but my bedroom window would be easier to slip through than risk getting caught by a chef or Anna. I peer over the window well before stepping onto the first rung of the small ladder that acts like a fire escape. I climb down carefully and face the window. I feel the pleasant vibration as my body turns intangible as I walk through the window panes.

Once in my room I look around for any animal that Rush could be before slipping out of my Chaos clothes and into a 'Future Harvard/Stanford/Yale Student' on the front in black box letters. Honestly, I have no will to go to any of those colleges- not that my grades are good enough any who- but Anna got the shirt for me and so I wear it to please her good will. The shirt looks the best when paired with my black sweatpants that Mrs. Henderson absolutely hates me to wear. I pull them on anyways, since the thought of dressing up for my mother is appalling.

I quietly pull out a lock picking kit from under the sofa cushions. I hide most of my Chaos tools in between the couch cushions and underneath the couch and the bed. Sometimes, I put the items-like a small pistol I got from my apartment when Mom was arrested and a few... other things I shouldn't have- in a black box that has stuffed animals on top in my closet. I don't have many items that are personal to me but that pistol is one of my treasures. I believe Mom may have used it to kill Dad if he was dead. I have nothing to know about my father but I do know that Mom loved that pistol very much. And so I took it before the cops could commandeer it.

Knowing that I have that pistol, even if Mom doesn't know I have it, made me feel safer. It is the security that one has when having leverage over another, and that is a relief.

I pocket the lock picking kit and step out into the hall. I pause and debate if I should change or not. If Phantom hasn't left me then I'd be able to feel his powers, which I do not. Maybe Phantom is expecting Kelsey to be here, maybe not. But Kelsey isn't here so I wonder what Phantom would do if he knew that. He'd probably go search for her. The first stop would be wherever Anna is.

I walk to Anna's door to her room. She's not in it, but her bed is a huge mess of clothes, hair accessories, papers, notecards, and pens. I scrunch my nose up at the sight. My room is always cleaner than hers except when Phantom keeps me so busy during the week.