18: Lair

Immediately after returning from Town Hall, I lay flat on my bed, headphones blasting Panic! At the Disco and my eyes closed. My Pre-Calc homework laid on my chest with a pencil balanced on top of it- not like I am doing it or anything. After staring at the fifth problem for a half hour I finally gave in and stopped trying to think about math. The Mayor had ben kidnapped and that fact doesn't sit well with me. As much as I tried to drown out my thoughts with blaring music, it didn't help.

I hear Anna's steps down the stairs and she knocks lightly on the door of my room before opening it a bit and poking her head through, "How are you?" she mouths when I point to my earbuds.

I sigh, although I couldn't hear myself, "I'm tired."

She smiles and walks over to my bedside, pulling out one of my earbuds, "We failed today. The Mayor was long gone before we even got there. The police are livid that we didn't help but caused major problems. Even the Detectives were upset with me. I had to try my best to smooth things over with them. They were talking about calling heroes vigilantes once again. Kells, I don't want to revert back to the time of Junior High when we both had to sneak everywhere."

"The police have never liked me, Anna," I state, pausing my music and sitting up.

"They don't believe you are good, but that's okay because I know that you are. You just aren't recognized enough."

Because I'm not one of the top 10 supers? I think sourly to myself with an internal groan. "Nothing you say can make me feel better about the Mayor so just go do your homework before it gets to one in the morning and you're sobbing to me for help. I'm tired so I'm going to go to bed soon," I state.

Anna huffs and shoots me her attempt of a glare. It makes me laugh, her blonde eyebrows pulled together make her seem more confused than angry.

"You know, I'm beginning to think that only Phantom is on the same wavelength as you. You two should hang out more," Anna says, grabbing the doorknob.

"Oh... I would but I don't really have his number," I sass.

"L-O-L. You shouldn't have said that," Anna slams the door and then I hear her slam the door to her room with a giggle.

I feel arms wrap around my shoulders and scream, my body tensing. Gloved fingers brush my hair away from my ear, and I can feel his breath on me, "999-888-7777."

A growl escapes my lips, "That's not even a real phone number!"

"Finally, you're out of that dismal maxi skirt and are in tight sweat pants. Makes your butt look fantastic," Phantom smacks my rear end and I jump in his arms.

"Can you not harass me please? You're obnoxious."

He presses his face against my collarbone, still invisible. I feel his smile against my skin, "It's my real number. Girls call me on it all the time."

"It wasn't like I was serious about calling you to... hang out," I but my lip hard to keep myself from smiling, "So you didn't have to give me the digits."

He turns visible, and I see his legs on both sides of mine. He sits against the headboard of my bed, and I check to see his leather clad rear end is snuggled on top of my pillow. Ugh. Talk about disgusting.

"Did I hear you say the word 'digits' when referring to my phone number?" he shudders against my back.

"Did Anna really think it was a good idea for you to be in my room?" I ask but before he can answer I turn around and put a hand over his mouth, "Do not answer that."