Hetero: The first straw.

Dedicated to @sarena_a because she truly is a gem to the Wattpad community.

It was on Christmas Eve when I saw their type for the very first time. I, myself, didn't see anything wrong with it. But apparently, my mothers had. I eerily remember one of my mothers, Isla, grabbing ahold of my sweater sleeve and tugging me away from the couple.

"Vile. That's what they are, Janet!" Isla shouted at my other mother. "This is no environment for a child to grow up in. Look at them!" She cried. Janet grabbed my shoulders and turned me away from the supposed 'crime' scene. "Look, Janet! Those filthy heteros with their hands all over each other. You know what, I should go over there and-"

"Hush, Isla," Janet soothed, quickly glancing at me. I tried to turn my head again to see the couple, but she gave me a stern glare, as if to say 'don't you dare'. "Let them be."

"What's going on?" I couldn't keep my curious self out of this matter, I wanted to know what was so wrong about the two lovers.

Isla turned me so I was facing them, but I didn't miss the resentment that reflected ever so clearly in her eyes. "You see those two... people?" She hissed out the last word, as if she didn't even want to call them that. I nodded, still confused as to what was going on. "They are what we call heteros, or breeders."

"What's so wrong about them?" I couldn't help but ask.

A sneer crossed Isla's face. "They are the lowest of the low in our society. They don't belong here. They're filthy and they allow lust to control their minds-"

"Isla!" Janet protested. "Don't-"

Isla cut her off. "She needs to know their place." I could hear the distaste in her tone. "They are scum. You don't want to be like that, do you, Alicia?" She questioned me, daring me to deny her words.

"No." My clueless six-year-old self responded.

I just didn't want to be an outcast.