Backup Plans

—CHAPTER 9—

Backup Plans

Immediately after the killing, Hermione had arranged for the DA members to be whisked back to Hogwarts before the Ministry began poking around the crime scene and questioning the students. Albus had anxiously spilled his worries about Jessica to the rest of the gang who automatically turned on to panic mode, however, things got worse. A week after Albus and the group returned from Buckinghamshire, the page disappeared again. And this time, it wasn’t Jessica who had it. Lockwood hadn’t been possessing her since the Buckinghamshire incident, allowing Albus and the others to notice how much Jessica had missed out on due to the possessing. She could barely remember what exams she’d taken, let alone people, places or information. It was terrifying. It was then that Albus decided they desperately needed a backup plan. Not believing entirely that Ciel had been completely put off by the Teranion issue, he made up his mind to ask if for some reason she might have copied down her own copy of the piece of paper. But before he did that, Albus realised that he and the others needed a way to get around Hogwarts without being recognised or seen. He didn’t want to ask Teddy as the twenty-one year old was now working more for the Order than Dumbledore’s Army so instead, Albus approached Alanna. She was out on the Quidditch pitch, throwing Quaffles to the Gryffindor chasers to practice with. ‘What do you want, Albus?’ she asked, not even turning. ‘If you’re here to deliver a message from James then...’

‘I’m not here from James,’ Albus interrupted. ‘I’m here because I need your help. James told me you were an animagus. Unregistered, of course.’

Alanna hesitated and then nodded. Albus folded his arms, leaning against the pole of one of the hoops. ‘I need you to teach me how. Me, Scorpius, Rose and Jessica.’

‘Why?’

‘Does it matter? It’s for the good of the world, if that’s what your asking. I just need to know.’

Alanna didn’t reply at first. Finally, she turned to face Albus. ‘It’s extremely difficult. A lot of hard work and it’s painful if you don’t get it right the first time.’

‘I don’t care,’ Albus said fiercely. ‘I need to know.’

Alanna flicked her hair over her shoulders. ‘Meet me in the place where nobody will find us at nine tomorrow night. Bring anyone who wants to learn.’

With that, she turned her back on Albus and returned to tossing Quaffles into the air.

‘You know,’ Albus said before leaving, ‘you really should give my brother a chance. He might be a bit of a git but he’s a good guy.’

Alanna didn’t move a muscle.

*

‘What did you want to talk to me about?’ Jessica asked tiredly, running her fingers through her chocolate brown hair as she skimmed through pages of Hogwarts, A History. Albus grimaced. Rose had been extremely against this. She’d screamed for nearly half an hour, trying to emphasise how dangerous this was and how foolish Albus was being. Well...it was lucky nobody really listened to Rose’s advice. Albus reached over and shut the book, whisking it away from under Jessica’s nose.

‘Hey!’ she cried in protest.

‘Shh!’ a student librarian hissed. Jessica looked away, glaring at Albus. ‘What is it?’

‘You want to know why you can’t remember much of the last few months?’ Albus demanded. Jessica face changed and she nodded slowly. Albus sighed and looked around. ‘Not here. There’s a chance that we’ll be overheard.’

Jessica nodded, grabbing his arm and pulling him out of the library, dragging him down the hall until she reached the Room of Requirement. ‘I need the place where nobody will find us,’ she said quietly. A strong, stone door appeared, opening with a gentle creak. Jessica gestured to Albus and the two hurried in, the door disappearing after them. Jessica whirled round to face Albus. ‘Well?’ she asked. Albus frowned. ‘When I first saw you with Ro, were we in the library, the Great Hall or the Quidditch Pitch?’