Chapter 1 : The Things We Agree To

Well, you see, it all started on a Monday morning. Maria, my nanny from birth and 2nd mother woke me up to go to school. I groaned and laid back down.

  "Mija wake up!" I opened my eyes to find Maria with her hands on her hips as if to say: "if you don't get out of this bed.."

  With that look I hopped up and said, "Good morning! ¿Como Esta?"

  I smiled to break her tension. She eyed me as I walked up to my bathroom, and she took a seat on my bed letting out a deep and depressing sigh .

  "Bien," she said plainly as she gave me a weak smile when I came out. I sensed her pain and it worried me. 

  "Ma, whats wrong?" I sat on my knees on the floor next to her feet .

  She looked down and gave me a weak smile, cupped my face and said, "Promise me ..," Her voice trailed off.

  "Yes Mama anything," I said worriedly . That's when my sad excuse for a mother came in .

  "Maria, the dog puked. Clean it." Without even looking at me, my biological mom walked out . God, I hated the way my so-called "Mother" talked to Maria.

  "I'm sorry, Mama. What were you saying?"

  "Baby girl, promise me that you'll make your own life. And fight for what's right."

  Assuming she meant how my mother made her life off my father I just said, "Yes, I promise."

  "Bien, now come on and get dressed. "