Nine

Minji

"Will you please slow down?" I held tight on the dashboard and exchange my glances between him and the road. He's been driving for thirty minutes now and I don't think he's decided to slow down anytime soon. "Myungsoo, please slow down!"

"Why do you have to be at that party?" He raised his voice, still focused on the road.

"What? It's my friend's birthday so I should be there!" I raised my voice as well.

"Then why did you join that stupid game?!" He glanced at me and I saw from his eyes that he's really mad right now.

"It's just a game, Myungsoo," I creased my eyebrows. Why is he acting this way?

"For you it is, but for him it is not!" He slammed the stirring wheel with his hand and thank goodness it did not break knowing that he can easily smash things. "Dammit! He's thinking of doing other things with you!" He rakes his hair up with his hand and continuously curse.

"Will you calm down?" I softly answer. "Please." That calmed him down a little but I can see that he's mad. He's still clenching his jaws.

"Are you okay?" He asks and I can hear worry in his voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's not like he's going to eat me," I said and I totally regret that I said it.

"So you think I'm going to eat you?" He said in disappointment. "You still think that way after saving you for many times."

"It's not what I mean," I reasoned out.

"I can read your mind," he said and pulled over at the side of the road. He remained silent after.

"I'm sorry for thinking that way," I said and stare at my hands on my lap. "You can't blame me. You're... a vampire."

"Yes, I'm a vampire but it doesn't mean that I kill people," he sighed. "I've been protecting you."

"Because I remind you of her," I whisper. "Who is she?" I ask and once again he remained silent.

"Myungsoo, I have to understand why you keep on protecting me. I want to understand everything," I ask again but he still remained silent. "How will I understand if you won't say a thing?" I frustratingly said.

"Is it Mika?"

"What? No!" At last he spoke.

"Then who is she?"

"My mother," he quietly said. "I killed her." He added and I remained silent.

"Please don't be scared," he probably read my mind again. "I don't kill people...anymore." He faces me but I remained looking at my hands on my lap.

"I can't stay away from you now. I don't know why but I feel so attached with you. Like I've already known you for ages," he said which made me look at him. "I tried so hard to distance myself from you but my body reacts differently. I start to follow you everywhere."

"Everywhere?" I covered my body with my arms. If he means everywhere so it means that he also follows me in the bathroom or whenever I change clothes.

"Of course I don't watch you naked. I'm not a maniac," he chuckles. He stares at me intently like he's reading my mind again.

"What happened to her?" I ask. He shifts his position and stared at the road. Silence filled the car.

"I'll bring you home," he said after moments of silence. I did not speak anymore and just look out of the window.

We arrived at my aunt's house and I can see that the lights are still on. She's probably waiting and worried about me now.

"Thanks for driving for me," I said, not able to look at him.

"Anytime," he gave me that smile that I've never seen before. A smile that can melt every woman's heart. I unbuckle my seat belt and is about to hop out of my car when he spoke.

"I hope you won't stay away from me after knowing my real identity," he softly said like he's pleading.

"I won't," I said and gave him an assurance smile. "Just promise me one thing. Don't read my mind again."

He smiles as well and touch my cheek which sent shivers down to my spine. "I promise."

"Minji?" I heard Aunt Isabelle's voice. "Is that you?" I look at our house and saw Auntie approaching the car.

"You must go. She might-" I look at the driver's seat but he's already gone.

A smile formed my lips. Why am I feeling this way? I should fear him but why do I feel like I want to see him again? Like I don't want to be parted from him.

"Minji?" I heard Auntie called me again and I decided to go out of the car.

"It's me Auntie," I said and fix the strap of my back pack on my shoulder.

"Where have you been? I've been calling you but you aren't answering. I told you not to go out late at night. It's very dangerous out there," she worriedly said.

"I'm fine, Auntie. I can handle myself," I sigh. Why do they always have to treat me like a baby? Yes, I have a condition which is actually life threatening but it doesn't mean that they have to stop me from doing things that I want to do.

"From the danger out here? You can't handle yourself, my dear," she said. What does she mean? "Come. Let's get inside now." I followed her but before I get inside, I glance at the woods hoping that I can see him again.

"Get inside now, Minji," Auntie ordered me and I obey her.

I went up to my room and threw my bag on the floor. I turn the light on and I saw someone on my window.

"Oh my God!" I was shocked at the sudden appearance of Myungsoo. "What are you doing here?" I quietly ask as he climbs in from my window. Aunt Isabelle might hear me.

"I forgot to give this to you," he said and walks towards me.

"What is?" I curiously ask. Instead of answering me, he leans closer and put something around my neck. As soon as he distance himself from me, I touch the thing around my neck. It's a necklace with a small circle pendant. I touch the pendant and checks it, it has two arrows intersecting carved on it.

"It's a charm necklace," he smiles as he stares at the pendant.

"Why are you giving me this?" I ask.

"To protect you," he touches my cheeks again. "For the times that I won't be beside you."

My heart sinks imagining him away from me. Oh my God! Am I falling for this man standing in front of me?

"But don't worry, because from now on I will never leave your side," he caresses my cheeks with his thumb and I involuntarily close my eyes.

"Promise?" I ask.

"I promise," he said and I felt his lips touch my forehead. When I open my eyes, he's now gone.