4-E: RUMOUR OF MURDER OF HADHRAT OTHMAN AND THE BAYAT (PLEDGE) OF RIDHWAN

A rumour broke out that the infidels had martyred Hadhrat 'Othmaan (Allah is pleased with him). The Holy Prophet (blessings and salutations of Allah on him) was extremely grieved on hearing this as he was not only his (Salallaho Alaihi Wasallam) personal emissary, Muslim Ambassador of peace but also a great companion. Therefore under a cacia tree the Holy Prophet (blessings and salutations of Allah on him) took oath of allegiance from all the companions (Allah is pleased with them) to the effect that so long as they are alive they will avenge bloodshed of Hadhrat Othmann. The Holy Quraan has highly appreciated this Muslim pledge to keep such obedience of every believer to the Holy Prophet (Salallaho Alaihi Wasallam) as hall-mark of life.

The Holy Quraan says:

"Allah is pleased with the Muslims who pledged at your hands under the tree. He knew what is in their hearts. This brought a great satisfaction in their hearts and it ushered a great victory for them." (AlQuraan : XLVIII:18)

Afterwards it came to light that the news about the murdering of Hadhrat 'Othmaan (Allah is pleased with him) was altogether false.