08: The Calibrated Contract

Chanyeol's ears perked upon the sound of his phone ringing, which made him stand up from his bed and head towards his phone that was lying on his well-organized dressing table – a very organized dressing table with only a few products atop. His eyebrows went up as he saw the caller ID. It was Choi Hana, his formal secretary as of six hours ago.

Why was she calling at this time?

That question had immediately flew on his mind, making him wonder what she wanted from him yet again. He sighed in defeat, remembering their deal earlier that day. Groaning, he swiped the green button on the phone indicating that he was accepting the call.

"What?" The CEO's annoyed voice had greeted the other, though the person on the other side didn't seem fazed. It was already ten o'clock in the evening and the CEO had already planned on sleeping early for the night, knowing that there would be a bunch of work to be done in the office tomorrow with the amount of stress from his employees and his former secretary not included, of course.

"Good evening, sir. May I ask if you happen to be busy at the moment? I called as I want to discuss a few important matters with you, if possible, tonight." Choi Hana said on the other line.

The CEO groaned again, the veins on his head protruding as he soon felt a headache forming. "Whatever," he mumbled, his demanding voice coming back to life afterwards. "Speak," he ordered as he sat back down on his bed, leaning his back on the headboard to make himself comfortable until they converse, at the very least.

"Regarding the contract that we have discussed six hours ago, may I ask for your permission to commit an adjustment to our agreement?"

Chanyeol frowned, "What adjustments?"

"Well, first of all, I think that it is wholly inequitable on my part to work on setting the company's reputation back without getting paid. Not to be onerous nor burdensome sir, but I do have to take care of my necessities. I'm afraid that I won't be able to work without getting paid."

It was true. They had come up with a contract to seal the deal six hours ago – a very informal contract that they had made in the peak of time, with a mere paper Chanyeol took from his office and a pen. They wrote the contract together with a few rants from the CEO as to proper terms and whatnot to be placed in a contract and signed afterwards, showing the agreement between both sides.

It was seemingly understandable for Hana to complain though, seeing as how Chanyeol practically wrote the entire contract.

She was partly on fault as well as she didn't read the entire contract wholly.

Then again, it wasn't her fault. There were a lot of details then, and all she wanted at that time was to formally seal the deal.

"Don't you know what contracts do? You can't just make adjustments when we already signed the contract. The deal has already been made. We can't, no. I don't approve this. Plus, you said to give you only a mere two weeks of time. Why waste my money on your service that will surely last for only two weeks? You're wasting my time," Chanyeol argued, despite his understanding of the situation.

He did, in fact, write a statement about her pay – which was nothing – as he figured that there was no point of paying back the latter. She was the one offering in the first place, too.

"Sir, with all due respect, both parties should be able to make a negotiated and equitable agreement. Contracts should be fair for both parties. I will work for you, hence you have to pay me for my service. Moreover, we didn't make an official contract too. It was made by merely a pen and a piece of paper. I do think that I have the right to demand on this matter. And how do you even know that I will only last for two weeks, sir? What if I do bring back your company to its rightful place?"