Still Into You-Lilo

Song-Still Into You, Paramore

At nineteen years old, everyone has a lot on their plate. At nineteen years old,  most begin planning their careers and education. Some will also have someone who's stolen their heart, keeping it for what they wish and promise is forever. But, for some, at nineteen years old, it gets tough.

Liam and Louis had dated for two years up until them both being nineteen. They always had a great time together. Louis was the definite cuddly type, though being older by a few months, and Liam was the protective one. After a while, the pair began feeling less like boyfriends, and more like bestfriends. 

"What do you think we should do, Li?" 

It was late one night when the couple sat in Louis' flat talking about it. 

Liam just shrugged, looking up from his hands which were resting on the counter top. "I'm not sure...I'm really happy being together...it's just that...well, everyone's saying that we act more like best friends than anything else. We've even come to realize it."

Louis nodded, a little confused with his own thoughts. "So...should we just, you know, end?"

Liam looked at him sadly. "I guess...and we can remain friends. Maybe, in the future, we can get back together if things work out."

Louis nodded again and stood up. He hugged Liam tomorrow.

"I'll see you tomorrow, then? We're having lunch with the boys."

Liam smiled. "Of course. See you then, Lou."

He closed the door behind him and sighed. He trailed off to bed and stared up at the ceiling for most of the night. The breakup, in a word, couldn't be described as...upsetting, rather confusing. It confused Louis. Were they really that close, but only as close as being "best friends"? 

Louis unwillingly welcomed a restless sleep, full of dreams that couldn't really be understood. When he woke up the next morning, all he knew was that lunch wouldn't actually be that awkward.

"I'm not sure what to do..."

Louis sat in Harry's flat a few weeks later. They were watching a football match, which-surprisingly-the blue-eyed boy wasn't even paying attention to or caring for at the moment.

Harry looked over at his best friend. "What do you mean?"

"About Li and I...I still love him..."

Harry sighed. "Tell him that."

"I can't, we'll never work out. We're too...friend like."

"Well maybe that's your thing."

Louis looked over at Harry. "Us not working out? Thanks for the encouragement, Harry. I'll be sure to use it-"

"No. Maybe yours and Liam's thing is being best friends and boyfriends. Has that ever once occurred to you?"

He turned away slowly and thought. "Huh...I...I don't know...can you elaborate about that?"

"Well...You know how you and Liam were practically friends the moment you met? And then you went out on a few dates together, and you held hands, and sometimes you didn't. You'd play fight, or pull pranks on one another. But you still loved each other with your whole heart. I think that's how you guys are. Exactly how you guys are.

"Not all romances are fairy tales. They could have differences. No one has the same one, right?"

Louis just stared at the boy. "When did you get all philosophical?"

"Shut up and just listen to the point! Am I right?"

"Yes."

"Good. So, I want you to call him up tomorrow, meet up, and talk to him. Tell him what I told you."

"Yeah...Hey, if you become a therapist, can you give me free sessions?"

Harry rolled his eyes and ignored him.

The next day, Louis met Liam at a diner, where they both sat and caught up for a while. After a few minutes of silence, Louis began.

He went on about everything that Harry said, Liam seeming to hang on to every last word and syllable. When Louis finished his lengthy speech, Liam stared at him for a few moments.

"So...what do you think?"

Liam smiled widely. "I think that Harry Styles is one of the smartest people we know."

"Also one of the most observant. But really, Li..."

"I think, that I'd love to try us again. I still really love  you, Louis. I just didn't want to be looked at as just friends anymore."

"Well, we don't have to." He put his hand over his boyfriend's.

Smiling, they left and spent the rest of the day together. They never once stopped smiling, or stopped holding hands or keeping physical contact. Their love story consisted of friendship as well as romance. And both boys were perfectly fine with that.

(A/N: Yep...I am officially terrible at writing one shots. Maybe. I dunno. Oh, well. If you want to request, be sure to send in a prompt, pairing, and song! Thanks guys! xxx-Ally :-)