Chapter Sixteen

"It wasn't my idea," Scott says shaking his head.

Miranda's face has gone completely pale. Falon is rolling around on the table laughing. Scott's mom is looking kind of indifferent. And Scott's dad just looks angry.

"Okay wait," Miranda says shaking her head before looking at me. "So you're a girl?"

"Yes," I nod not making eye contact with her. Wow, this is awkward.

"Well it's been fun!" Scott says standing up and walking towards me. "But we really must be getting back to campus..."

"Scott," Mr. Rogers says glaring at his son. "Pop into my office when you get back to campus. I want a word with you."

Scott frowns before he ushers us out of the dining room. I don't bother saying anything to his family as we leave. That couldn't have gone any worse.

When we get outside, instead of walking towards the garage where I remember the chauffeur parking the car, Scott makes a left and starts jogging towards the back of the house.

"W-where are you g-going?" I shout as I follow slowly behind him.

"I want to show you something," he says turning around towards me so that he's jogging backwards.

"N-no I c-cant miss my c-classes again," I say shaking my head at him.

"It won't take long," he whines. I'm about to refuse again when he grabs my hand in his. My mouth immidiately clamps shut and all of a sudden I'm nervous. Why am I letting him have this affect on me?

I follow behind him silently as he drags me along with him. Once we make it around the back of the house he leads us over towards the fence and begins to climb it.

"W-what're you d-doing?" I ask when he drops to the ground on the other side of the fence.

"Follow me," he says. He begins walking forward along the length of the fence. I follow him from my side of the fence.

I can't see anything beyond the side of the fence Scott is on. There's only a bunch of trees, it could probably be a small forest. After a couple minutes of just walking, Scott stops. There's a gate that is connected to the fence and I move to push it open but I stop when I see a giant padlock.

"Stay here," Scott says as he runs off and disappears behind one of the trees. When he comes back out he's holding an aluminum bat. Before I get the chance to ask what he's doing, he bashes the padlock hard with the bat. I flush before taking a step back. Five bashes later the padlock is lying on the ground and Scott pushes the gate open breathing heavily.

"I c-could've just c-climbed the fence too," I say rolling my eyes as I walk through the gate. "No need t-to go the extra mile."