Epilogue

Versus the World

Epilogue

Kendra's POV

It has been one week.

One week since we returned home. One week since our world was flipped upside down. One week since our life was shattered into millions of little pieces. One week since we lost Indy, my best friend.

It has been one full week that my mind has been filled with the last images of her, my sister, our sister. Next week I will start something new. I will start my life over. Leave these images behind. Move on.

------

"Indica!" Haze's voice booms from behind me, as he crashes into the shack. Grabbing me by the shoulders, he shoves me to the side, trying to her. But it's too late. He was too late.

The sound of the gun shot is bouncing off the metal walls, echoing around me like a train circling me with the horn blowing relentlessly.

The sound that came after was life changing. The sorrow filled howls of Haze mourning for his mate.

The cries and pleas for her to return.

------

Looking up to the sound of approaching feet, I see everyone well dressed and ready to go. Grabbing my bag, I stand and follow my family out the door and into the waiting cars.

Before climbing into the limousine with everyone else, I stop short of the car door, remembering something. "Hey, I'll meet you all there, I forgot something."

Running up the stairs to Indica's old room, I grab the box I was looking for. Smiling that I remembered it, I know it is something she would like us to do.

Reaching the cemetery, the one that our parents remain, I cut off the engine to my bike, and walk the rest of the way to the correct burial site. It is crowded with a lot more people than I expected were going to be here. Trying not to disrupt the beginning of the service, I quietly make my way to stand between Haze and Jayce.

Looking up at Jayce, I can't help but be happy and sad at the same time. Happy he is here for us but sad because he never got to fully know Indy. Sighing, I start to pay attention to the man who is standing at the head of the closed casket, as he continues speaking.

The service is beautiful so far, with all of us stepping forward to say something to and about her. It is nice, hearing everyone say things about Indy. Some funny, some sad, some that bring back old memories.

When the service starts to wrap up, I grab the box that I had placed on the ground in front of me, and step forward.

"For those of you who knew Indica well, you know that she would not want us sad on this day, no she would want us happy and high," I say, "but I don't think that we should start smoking just yet. Today, I brought a box that Indy always kept under her bed. I am not exactly sure what all is in it, but I figured that we could open it and place the things with her to be buried along side her."

After I say this, I nod to the pallbearers to open up the top half of the beautiful cherry wood casket.
But when it was opened up, what was inside was not what we expected.

------

Dear family,

I know what you have all been experiencing lately, having your hearts filled with grief, but I hope that changes very soon. I know that if you're reading this, you have now discovered that I am not where I should be, and that I am in fact, still alive.

I don't know how it is possible but the day before I was supposed to be put in the ground, I woke up. I thought it was all some shitty joke, until memories of recent events reminded me of what happened.

I am sorry you all had to find out this way, I wished that you wouldn't have seen this at all, but I cannot undo what has to happen.

Things changed. I have changed. I do not want you to come looking for me. I want you all to move on with your lives and leave me to be. I left all my money behind, please split it between yourselves. For now I am on my own.

Do not come for me. I know you are all thinking about coming anyways but don't as I do not want to be found. If you look and find me, I will kill you.

It is now time for me to do what is needed of me.

I will kill every last one of them, as they killed me.

To be forgotten,

Crazy