Chapter 3: Sleep

Lubbock's POV

Sayuri slipped off her boots and slid under the covers. She faced the opposite direction of me.

I sighed and took off my jacket and shoes. Instead of laying beside her under the covers, I layed on top.

I turned off the light and rested my head on my arm. I let my legs hang loose, but then I felt something press onto my back.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Sayuri had her forehead pressed into my back. Her knees were pulled up to her stomach. Her eyes were closed.

Thinking she was asleep, I started to slide off the bed.

A small hand gripped the bottom of my shirt. I looked back and saw Sayuri was holding onto my shirt. I felt a blush creep onto !y cheeks.

"Please," She whispered. Her eyes opened and looked up at me. "I know I sound like a child. But, please."

I sat back down into the bed and her arms wrapped around my stomach. I felt her shaking as she started crying softly.

I turned so she was crying onto my chest. My arms sat limp on my sides as she held onto me.

"Sayuri," I whispered. My fingers wrapped around her chin and pulled her face up so she looked at me. Tears slipped down her cheeks. "Stop crying."

She reached up and quickly wiped her tears away, obeying me. She took shaky breaths as she tried to clam herself.

"What were you doing in the Capital?" I asked.

She didn't look at me. She looked at the door, like she was scared someone would come in.

"We were looking for you guys." She said.

I pulled her face so she looked at me again.

Sayuri's POV

The man held my face in his hands. I knew he was probably getting tired of dealing with me, but I didn't know what else to do.

I explained to him what had happened before we met them and he listened with a serious expression.

When I was done, he looked me in my eyes.

"Why?" He asked.

"I was scared to go back into the Capital because...." I bit into my lip. I didn't know whether I should tell him of Kaede or not.

He seemed to see my inner battle because he took my chin in his fingers again.

"You can tell me." He said.

My breath hitched as he looked me in my eyes again.

"Because my sister, Kaede Nakamura, is a Imperial Officer." I said quickly.

His eyes widened for a moment before closing them. "I see."

I nodded and looked down.

Then, I felt his hands cup my face and he pulled my face to his. I gasped quietly when he pressed his lips to mine.

I felt tears on my cheeks as I returned his kiss. It was soft.

His lips molded against mine, filling me with warmth. My hands pressed to his chest.

What am I doing? I shouldn't be doing this.

But I couldn't help myself.

I didn't even know his name.