Chapter 27 - Something Old

One year later

The past year has been... well, like my life, a big adventure.

I started studying Early Childhood Education and I love it. My early study adventures had at least some use. Many credits got approved and I could go straight on to the classes in my major.

I did work at the mall for a few months. I didn't get fired, eat the inventory or have a creepy boss (which in this case was Brett). I left because I got offered work as an assistant teacher in a kindergarten. The thing that I missed the most after I left was not seeing Brett as often. But as much as I liked to work as an information point, I wanted to work with little kids more.

Talking about little kids, this year we welcomed the newest addition to the family. My sister Evy gave birth to a beautiful baby boy that they called Jack. The little bundle of joy is now a six month old menace that recently learned to crawl. Nothing is safe in his perimeter. Evy has mellowed down plenty. She even asked me and Brett to be Jack's godparents.

She took me out one day for lunch and apologized to me. Evy also explained that she always saw my potential, but used the wrong methods to push me to do something with my life. Her biggest fear was that I end up with someone like Kevin... sorry K-Ink.

K-Ink found the actual love of his life. A brainless woman that is also tattooed with bad quality ink. Apparently really good in bed. How do we know that? Stefan told us that their mom threatened them to hose them down if they didn't come out of his bedroom. It seems like they had been busy for two full days.

Carlos and Sam broke up in March. Their modeling schedules never seemed to have them in the same place at the same time. They are still really good friends and catch up as often as they can. And the most important... he is still in love with her. I don't doubt that once their careers slow down a bit that they will get together again.

Dan and Laura moved in together after my brother finished his studies last summer. He is now doing his medical residence and looks forward to going home and having her there. I haven't seen him so happy in his life.

Filipa and Fred got married at the end of the summer. A small ceremony in her garden. He went from never having been married to getting a wife and two sons that are crazy about him.

Brett and me? We are doing fine. More than fine. Last Valentine's Day I broke up with him... for about twelve hours... in my mind. He was acting all weird and secretive, checking his phone plenty for like a week and I seriously thought that he was cheating on me. On that day I was seriously pissed with him as he said that he might not be able to make it to dinner due to a meeting.

He managed to arrive on time, and during dinner he handed me a beautiful box wrapped in red paper and with a white bow with tiny hearts. When I opened it, there was a key inside.

"I bought a house for us," he said with a big smile.

I hugged him so hard that I tumbled him off the chair. He hit his head pretty hard, but couldn't stop laughing. We moved in together a month later and it felt so good to have a place to call our own.

On Easter Sunday, we all went to church. Brett is not affiliated with any religion, but enjoys the church events whenever there is a holiday. Afterwards, we went to my parents' house for a big lunch. Right there and then, he went down on one knee.

"Callie, life with you is a roller coaster. We have ups and downs, and at times you even leave me dizzy, but every day, I can't wait to experience it all over again. Through you I have learned to trust, be myself and have hope. Will you marry me?"

I said yes, and laughed, and cried, and then did both at the same time. My parents knew already as he asked my father for my hand a week before.

And today, on Christmas Day, we have said 'I do' in front of our families and friends. We are enjoying a bit of quiet time with the two of us and then we will head to the reception.

"Let me take a proper look at you," Brett says, holding my hand but taking a step back. "You look so beautiful. Well, you always do, but you make a lovely bride,"

My dress is a simple A-line with lace sleeves. I'm still a size 16, and everybody reassured me that it looks good. My husband's compliment is my most honest confirmation. My husband...

"You also look very handsome. You should wear a tux every day,"

"Maybe we can play James Bond tonight and I can show you my weapon," he says, holding me closer to him by my waist and winking.

His naughtiness makes me laugh. Is not like we go at it often, but when we do, I swear that he leaves me seeing fireworks.

"I got you a little Christmas present," Brett says, opening his wedding clothes cover and getting a little flat package.

I can see that he has wrapped it himself. Too much paper, too little tape, and I love him even more for it. I unwrap it to find a new copy of the "A Christmas Story" film.

"Your old one is a bit battered and I know that it skips parts from time to time. Is not much, but it means a lot to us," he says, rubbing his neck and looking a bit hesitant.

"I love it Brett. This is the best Christmas gift. A reminder of our first official date. The only thing left is the bounty of candy we had," I say then kiss him.

"It is waiting for us tonight in our hotel room. I also arranged for a player,"

I grab him in a hard hug for thinking about these things.

"Cal, your bouquet. We are smashing the flowers," he says with a laugh.

We separate and I check on the flowers. They are fine. I look at Brett, whose eyes are still fixated on the flowers.

"You still have this..." he says with a warm smile at the memory.

"It is my something old," I say, kissing his cheek.

Nestled between the roses, is a wrinkled silver bow. The one that Brett had taped to his shirt on the evening that he became my boyfriend. The only Christmas thing that I have ever wanted: true love. My own wish with a bow.

THE END

Twitter @MaraOudenes