Chapter 10 - Sisters

"Happy birthday sweetheart,"

I smile at my dad's awkward hug. After 27 years, he still doesn't know how to show affection in a normal way.

"Any plans for today?" he says, sitting next to me at the table.

"Thinking about buying a little cake and sharing it with Mom and you tonight. I'm also video calling with Dan tonight,"

"Oh..." he says, looking a bit guilty.

"Oh, what?"

"The thing is that Evy invited us to come by for dinner. She said that she has something important to tell us," he says with an apologetic shrug.

I feel my body getting hot and cold at the same time. The damn witch!

"Why on earth would she plan a dinner on my birthday?" I say, trying to keep myself under control.

"Maybe she forgot it was your birthday. Happens to the best of us," Dad says with a small shrug.

"You also forgot... probably Mom told you," I say at the realization.

"What is a birthday anyway? I never celebrate mine and you don't see me making a fuss about it," he says defensively. "Besides, at your age, you probably had plans already. It is Friday after all. No fun staying at home with your folks. Aren't you dating that Carlos boy?"

"Carlos and I are not dating. We are friends,"

That is also a bit painful. He came by the wrapping station yesterday to bring me a gift, and apologize that he can't make it to celebrate with me. He has a modeling gig in another mall and won't be home until later.

I finish my breakfast and head to work. I'm in a rotten mood, but at least now, thanks to Brett, I have a comfortable costume that fits my body.

I stop by the mall bakery before heading to the employee lounge and buy a little chocolate cake covered with a white glaze. It is just me so I won't bother getting anything bigger.

I'm so damn hurt by Evy and her antics. She always does that. Everything she does always has priority. Like the time she threw a tantrum and made both my parents go to her ballet recital instead of my play because she had a big solo and I only had a small part.

Stefan is either a saint or an idiot to put up with her. Cause according to Evy he can't do anything right.

Even Dan has been affected by her selfish behavior. When he was going to college, Evy made a fuss that she was already busy with her law degree and she needed all the financial support possible. She even blamed me of spending our college savings on pointless studies. Luckily, Dan had a scholarship and filled the rest of his lack of funds with small jobs, including babysitting a pair of boys.

"Okay, fine if you want to ignore me, but I really need you to tell me where to put these,"

I snap back to reality and see Brett standing next to me with new rolls of gift wrapping paper.

"I'm sorry Brett. I'm very distracted today. My sister did one of her stunts to make my life miserable,"

"You as well? Must be a moon phase or something. Mine decided that is time for me to settle down and brought a woman for dinner last night. Callie, I was standing in the kitchen in my boxers with a bottle of milk halfway to my lips. She comes to my fucking apartment unannounced with a stranger, opens the door with her spare key and expects that I cook for them," he says quite pissed.

I'm trying to keep a straight face picturing him in his underwear... well, not really in underwear... I bet he looks good in just that. More like scratching his butt and drinking the milk.

"You can laugh Callie. It was really ridiculous," he says with a small smile and I start laughing hard.

"What did you do then?"

"I got pissed. She invaded my privacy. I took my wallet, took a twenty out and told her to order takeout and eat it elsewhere,"

"No shit! You did?"

"Yeah, I had been cleaning toilets, hauling trash and almost electrocuted myself with the damn Christmas tree in the main hall. All I wanted was a shower, reheat pizza from the night before and watch TV. Is not glamorous, but it is all I need,"

"I get you. People around you think that because your life is not going the way they expected, that they need to do something about it. We will do it when the time is right and we are ready,"

"You are very right. She is the one that needs a boyfriend. Maybe if she would get laid, she will stop meddling in my life," he says with a wicked grin, making me giggle.

Brett stares at me in that unique and intense way that he does.

"Have a nice day Callie. See you around,"

The day is busy as always. Filipa and I work wrapping stuff non-stop. I say goodbye to her and promise her that if I see Fred in the employee lounge that I will put a good word for her.

I head to my locker and as I open it, there is a note inside.

'Pathetic. All alone on your birthday.'

This is getting ridiculous! Who the hell is keeping an eye on my life? I shove the note in my purse, grab my cake and close the locker a little harder than necessary.

"Whoa! What did your sister do now?" Brett says while bringing a cleaning cart back to its place.

"It's nothing," I say, trying to smile, but fail at it.

His gaze moves to the cake in my hands.

"I love those... Callie, are you okay?"

A thick tear goes down my cheek. I remove it with the palm of my hand and let out a deep sigh.

"Brett, today is my birthday. My sister invited my parents tonight for dinner at her house. My brother Dan is away in college and he won't be here until Christmas. My only friend at the moment, Carlos, got a modeling gig in another town,"

Brett looks at me wide eyed, but then recovers quickly.

"Where do you live?" he says.

"Number 10 in Red Wood Lane,"

"Give me an hour. You will have a birthday," he says and then leaves in a hurry.