Chapter 8 - Honesty

"Are you okay?"

I lift my gaze to find my mom looking at me with concern. I shake my head in negative and go back to move the pieces of egg around my breakfast plate.

"What is going on sweetheart? I have never seen you like this," she says, sitting next to me and placing her hand on my arm.

What is going on? A few things, the most disconcerting are the two notes left in my locker. Then Carlos asking me out for dinner. He could have whatever woman he wants and has asked me on a date. Also the realization that this work that I actually like will be over in a few weeks.

"Mom, what makes a woman beautiful?"

Mom looks at the wall in front of us while gathering her thoughts.

"Honesty is what makes a woman beautiful. When you are true and honest to yourself it shows,"

"Am I beautiful?"

"Sometimes," she says with a wicked grin.

"Jeez, talking about honesty," I say while she giggles.

"Callie, you are beautiful when you make use of your talents. When you are honest to yourself about what you truly enjoy doing. I have seen how happy you look when you come home from work,"

"Too bad it will be over soon,"

"You will figure out something. You are a smart cookie,"

"Okay, so my talents make me beautiful. Then what makes me ugly?"

"Ha-ha, not ugly, but when you go into one of your crash diets then you are miserable. Then you are dishonest to yourself. Thinking that a few days starving yourself will make you feel better. You have a beautiful round body and many women would kill to have your boobs,"

I snort loudly and can't stop laughing.

"Mom! You said boobs!" I say between fits of laughter.

"Would you prefer bouncing-Buddhas? Frost detectors?" she says, grabbing the toast from my plate and nibbling on it.

"Gosh, I can't take you seriously anymore, but thanks. I guess..."

"Anytime love. Remember something. I am your mom, but I was also once a young woman and we all go through the same," she says, standing up and kissing my head.

I spend the day browsing online for some Christmas gifts and then search for schools for next semester. I know that I'm very late to request admission, but I can always try.

My mom's words keep repeating themselves in my head. My talents make me beautiful. What are my talents? I'm good with young kids and I love to make crafts. The perfect job for me: daycare worker.

I fill in an online application and cross my fingers. If I get accepted, I will be studying early childhood education. The thought fills me with hope. Not the excitement that I felt at each study that I attempted. This time is different, good different.

After showering and dressing, I go downstairs to open the door. Carlos is standing outside and is holding a tiny pink poinsettia plant in his hands.

"It seemed more appropriate than any other flower. It lasts longer as well," he says, giving it to me.

"This is just adorable! Thanks," I say, kissing his cheek.

I place it on the side table, grab my coat and purse and head together to his car. It smells lovely inside, like his cologne and a hint of spearmint.

"So how was your free day?" he says as he starts the car.

I give him a run of pretty much everything that I did and he then tells me about a briefing he got for a new modeling job. We make it to a nice and casual Mexican restaurant. My mouth waters at the scents and makes me want to order one of everything in the menu.

"How did you end up being a model?" I say, taking a sip of the margarita I just got.

"I was very overweight when I was in my teens. I got very sick and the doctors told me that I had to do something about it or I would be dead in a year. I learnt to eat better and started exercising. I realized that I liked doing it and my body was looking quite fit. My mom suggested that I take some modeling classes and dance classes. I was suddenly slim, but moved still a bit awkward. My modeling coach sent my profile to an agency and they took me,"

"That is a wonderful story. You should be proud," I say, patting his hand.

"I am, but doing all of that didn't give me the confidence to talk with girls,"

I look at him in surprise and can see a shy guy behind the handsome exterior.

"But you are talking with me,"

"I told you. I feel really comfortable around you. I can be myself around you and I could use a good friend,"

Friend?

"How come a guy like you doesn't have a girlfriend?" I say, trying to keep my composure. Did he really say friend?

"I had one, but we broke up a bit before the move. She would get insanely jealous of all the girls I work with. They are just colleagues, maybe gorgeous ones, but just that. What about you?"

"It has been a while. I don't seem able to keep a guy for more than a few months. I'm sort of the rebound girl until a guy finds something better,"

"That can't be right. You are sweet and funny. Any guy would be proud of being with you,"

Yeah, any guy, but you... friend.

My mood and expectations of the night changed considerably. It wasn't bad, but it was just as he said: two friends having dinner. We had good laughs and learned a bit more about each other and our families.

After splitting the check, because that is friends do, we gather our stuff to leave. Carlos holds the door of the restaurant for me. As I walk out, I see Brett coming in with a very good looking girl.

"Hey Brett," I say in a friendly way.

He gives me a big smile. The woman next to him looks at him in a questioning way.

"This is Callie. We work together at the mall," he says in a flat tone to the woman.

The woman just nods and walks inside. Brett gives me a small wave and follows her. That was really strange.