Chapter 2 - Thanksgiving Morning

I wake up from the noise coming from downstairs. I look at my alarm clock. It is only a bit past six o'clock in the morning. Who on earth wakes up so early on Thanksgiving? Oh yeah, my mom.

Reluctantly, I throw some comfortable clothes on and make an attempt to tame my hair with a brush. The more I brush it, the worse it gets.

I remember then that the woman at the beauty counter sold me this cream that is supposed to work wonders and bring the natural highlights of my otherwise dull hair. For 35 dollars it better make me coffee as well. The instructions are written in tiny letters and I make out that I have to rub it on my hands and then work it on the strands. All in the name of beauty.

I take off my glasses so I don't get product on them. Taking a little bit, I start working it on my hair. I don't see much difference. The woman at the counter had used it and she had these fabulous reddish highlights. My nose is almost hitting the mirror and I can't even see where I put it. Did I put enough? I squeeze the tube hard and apply a good blob to my hands and work the front area even more. I still can't see a difference.

While waiting, I browse online for something to wear on Christmas. I will be at the mall, but getting informed on the latest fashion doesn't hurt. The alarm I set rings, so I grab my towel and run to the shower. Oh, crap! I'm out of shampoo and all that's left is Dad's dandruff shampoo, which smells very strong and minty, or Mom's oil bomb for dry hair. As if I need any more oil in mine. Reluctantly I pick my Dad's and make a mental note to buy some bottles of mine... when I get my first pay check.

As I come out of the shower, I clean the foggy mirror with the towel and terror hits. The front of my hair is stripey! Like tiger-stripey! I blow my hair dry and walk around the bathroom in circles in my underwear. I can hide here forever, can't I?

A hat! I just need to put on a hat and then buy a cheap pharmacy dye at the first opportunity possible.

As I come downstairs, I find my brother Daniel eating a bowl of cereal and with his nose in a book. He must have gotten home from college very late last night. The Swedish genes did reach him. He is quite a looker with his blond hair, blue eyes and impressive height. Top that with the fact that he is a medicine student.

"Dan!" I say, feeling very happy that my baby brother is home.

"Callie!" he says, standing up and grabbing me in a hard hug. "Nice hat! What the hell is that smell?" he says after we separate.

"What do you smell?"

"Like a koala... eucalyptus,"

"Dammit," I say, sitting on the dining table.

"Is it you?" he says wide eyed.

"I'm broke and had to use Dad's shampoo,"

"Did you get blonde highlights?"

That's when I notice that a strand has escaped my hat. Shit! Shit! Shit!

"I'm a tiger," I take my hat off and Dan's eyes widen.

"I don't know why you do these things to yourself. You are beautiful the way you are,"

"You are my brother. You are supposed to say things like that,"

"I say it as your brother and as a man. Callie, you are prettier than you think,"

"Yeah, right. I'm fat, can't see without glasses, my hair is always a mess and now I'm a tiger,"

"You are beautiful and one day you will meet a man that will appreciate how you look,"

"Well, when you find one, send him my way cause I don't see any making a line for me,"

Daniel shakes his head and goes back to his book. I fix my hair so it doesn't fall out of the hat again. Mom enters the kitchen humming a Christmas song. She simply loves the holiday season and today is the official kick off for her.

"Callie, sweetheart, can you give me a hand here? I'm about to put the turkeys in the bottom oven, but we still have so much to do,"

Yes, a bottom oven. When you make so many side dishes and desserts, one is not enough. A few years ago, she threw the temper tantrum of the year when Dad invited extra people to eat and she didn't have enough space to cook. He bought her forgiveness with a second oven.

"Wait, did you just say turkeys? In plural?" I say.

"Yeah, we have some guests so the usual amount of food won't do,"

"Who else is coming?" I say while starting to peel potatoes.

"Well, your sister and her family, of course, and us,"

"That is seven people,"

"And her parents in law and her brother in law," she says without making eye contact.

I'm not liking this one bit.

"Still, that is ten people. One turkey is enough,"

"Well, there is this very nice family that moved into the neighborhood. We met them through the church. They have a very lovely son, about your age,"

"Mom, this is not one of your match making plots, right?" I say almost as a warning.

"Of course not. I would never do that to you," she says innocently.

"Mom, you have done it twice already,"

"That can't be right,"

"Church dance when I was eighteen. You tried to hook me up with one of the altar boys. Who now that I think about it, talked fondly about Mass wine. Then that time you gave the supermarket cashier my phone number as we were leaving the place,"

"He was adorable!"

"And married. Still, it didn't stop him from calling me. Fucking cheater," I say the last part almost in a mumble.

"Maybe this time will be the lucky one. Two single and young men available," she says, grabbing another bag of potatoes to peel. "So wear something nice this evening,"

"See? You are trying to hook me up again!"

"Nonsense. What is that lovely perfume you are wearing?"

And then I knew that I was doomed.