Chapter 22 - Christmas Guests

I don't know if I'm just getting over Brett, or my brother's company is keeping me busy, but I'm a bit better. Mom has been in the kitchen since dawn. I find it quite amazing as she went to midnight mass last night and slept only for a few hours.

Dad is still sleeping. Christmas is the only day of the year in which he sleeps until late. He says that those few extra hours are the best gift that we can give him.

I look at the red dress with the black sash that I'm going to wear today. I remember when I picked it up a few days ago. I was thinking of him when I bought it. He would have loved it.

I walk to my dresser where the two letters lay. Did he really do that for me? I didn't even apply to that college. Their entrance requirements are very demanding, and I never thought that they would consider me.

Am I being too harsh on him? Should I have given him a chance to explain right then? B. Palms... Brett Palms... Brett. I liked him so much when he was just the service guy. Would I still like him knowing that he is the boss?

I don't know why I didn't at least suspect that something was off. I learned during one of our chats that he has an apartment in a gated community. The times when we saw each other outside of the mall, he wore designer clothes. And let me not even start on that black coupe that he drives around. Rich boy written all over him.

Anyway, the only thing left for me is to make good use of the chance I'm getting at studying.

"Callie, sweetheart, can you give me a hand in the kitchen?" my mom says, standing by the door.

"Sure, what are we making?"

"Just lunch. I'm quite on schedule with dinner, but your dad will wake up soon and will be hungry,"

I give one last glance at the pretty dress and follow Mom. We are expecting again a full house and the trays of food are just growing in the kitchen.

"I will just make a buffet this year, and keep it simple," she says as I eye the food.

I don't really think that she understands what simple means. I get out the ingredients to make some pancakes for my Dad. On a day like this is what he enjoys eating.

"Cal, sweetheart, I think he had his reasons," she says while chopping apples.

"What do you mean?"

"Think about it: a single man, handsome and wealthy. Do people like him because of what is inside, or because of what he has in the bank?"

"But why lie to me? I don't care. I liked him when he was just a janitor,"

"Bad timing and that vengeful woman whose interest he didn't correspond,"

"Have you been watching Mexican soaps again? That was dramatic," I say, making her laugh.

"I actually have, but seriously, I think he would have told you when the time was right,"

"I don't know how I would have reacted,"

"Well, you take your time to think about things. Try to enjoy the holidays. Soon you will be studying and time will be limited,"

I spend the rest of the afternoon helping my Mom. Dad eventually comes of hibernation with bed sheet prints all over his face.

I get dressed and decide to make my hair into a bun with the help of an online tutorial. It doesn't look half bad. I go down to see that most of the guests have arrived. Aria starts throwing a temper tantrum. I swear at times that she hates her own mother.

"Hey baby girl, come with your auntie," I say and she almost jumps from Evy's arms. "Let's see what Santa brought you here,"

I hold on to my niece and enjoy the soft smell of her hair while we kneel next to the Christmas tree. She plays with one of my earrings and then tries to get my glasses off.

"Not those. Otherwise, I can't see a thing," I say, putting them back on and remembering the day that Brett told me I'm beautiful with and without them.

"And? Where is the blue prince that Mom won't stop talking about? Seriously Callie, a janitor?"

"Evy, now is not the time," Dan says.

"Not the time for what? Oooh, did you break up with him already? This must be a record for you. But then again, when have you ever stuck to anything?"

I'm trying to keep myself under control. I really don't want to cry in front of all the people.

"Evy, please, stop this," Stefan says.

"That is the problem with all of you. You feel pity for her and let her do whatever she wants. Is your little job at the mall over? What are you going to do now? Live off from Dad as always?"

A little wet spot forms on my dress from the tears that are rolling down my cheeks. What did I ever do to her?

"ENOUGH!"

I startle at Mom's voice.

"I don't give a rat's ass that you are pregnant. That doesn't give you the right to be a bitch and even less in my house. You are unfair and disrespectful, even mean to somebody that is suffering. Evelyn, do us a favor and go home. Come back when you have learned some manners,"

I think my mouth and everybody else's fell in our laps. Stefan grabs the diaper bag and motions for me to hand Aria to him.

"Oh no Stefan, stay where you are. You are joining us. Don't let her nasty moods ruin your holiday," my mom says.

"Are you okay?" Dan says, kneeling next to me and handing me a napkin.

I shake my head in negative. He helps me up from the floor and gives me a hug.

"DNA Holiday Special," he whispers in my ear and it makes me smile.

The doorbell rings and the last guests arrive. It will be a matter of time before they know what just happened.

"Callie, dear, you have a guest," my mom says.

Standing at the door is Brett.