Chapter 9 - Wrapping Lesson

My parents were very surprised to see me home so early last night. I told them that I had a good time with Carlos and left it at that.

I have been fretting about what happened. He did ask me on a date, but then seemed to have freaked out or something. I'm not totally disappointed. He is a good and nice guy, and I do have fun when we are together. Better as a friend then, right?

I started early today. I have noticed that if I cut small pieces of gift wrapping paper, it makes the work easier when wrapping jewelry.

"Morning Callie,"

"Hey Brett. Did you have a nice date last night?" I say, turning to look at him.

"Oh hell no! That wasn't a date. That stuck up woman is my sister. She is in town for meetings and I had no other choice than taking her out for dinner," he says, crossing his arms and leaning on the counter.

"I get you. My sister is also a miserable cow. She thinks that she is the only one doing things right,"

Brett stares at me and then bursts in laughter.

"Good to hear that I'm not the only one suffering. How was your date?" he says kindly.

When Brett is not being and ass or sarcastic, he is quite good looking. Not as handsome as Carlos, but he is elegant.

"That wasn't a date either. Carlos is a friend that I met recently. He is also the brother of one of the Winter Wonderland elves,"

"Too bad. You looked quite pretty last night. Where is Filipa?"

I feel myself blushing deeply. So much that I think I should call the fire brigade. My face is burning.

"Filipa... uhm... she starts an hour later. Gives her time to check Santa out,"

"Really? Fred? She likes Fred?" he says while his face softens.

"Do you know him well?"

"He has played Santa for many years here. The rest of the year he works in the accounting department. He is the sweetest guy you will ever meet,"

"Have you worked long here at the mall? You seem to know many people,"

"Long enough. Feels like a lifetime. What are your plans after the holiday season is over?"

"I'm thinking about going back to college and actually finishing a study for a change. Of course, I also need to find another job. Too bad, I really enjoy doing this one," I say, looking around the wrapping station.

"You do? Why?"

"Is just the idea that on Christmas morning somebody will receive a present that was wrapped by me. I feel like I'm playing a part on that happy moment,"

"Your station is the most popular in the whole mall. No other has queues as long as yours. I have seen what you do and the care you put on each gift you wrap,"

"No shit?" I say, feeling surprised at the information.

"Really. You know that I have to go around the mall to offer service. The lines here are massive,"

"I know we are busy, but I thought that it was because we are so close to Santa,"

"I do think it is because of you. So, teach me how to wrap a gift," he says, grabbing a pair of scissors and pulling paper from the roll.

"Hold your horses cowboy! You can't just cut paper without knowing the size of what you are going to wrap,"

"Oh, then, I don't know. Give me a second," Brett says and makes a sprint across the hallway and to the candy shop in front of us.

I continue cutting wrapping paper and the first customer arrives to the station. I'm busy wrapping the ribbon around a gift when Brett walks inside with a box of Sixlets. I finish the gift by placing a bow and watch the happy face of the customer.

"Sixlets?" I say, pointing at the box.

"Yeah, they are my favorite chocolate candy," he says with a grin.

That is cute. Mine as well.

"Okay, so you have your box. Now you have to cut the paper three times as big as the width. The paper should also be wide enough to cover the length,"

Brett obeys and I cringe at the choppy way that he is cutting the paper. I guide him through the steps and he does a decent job of wrapping the box and putting ribbon around it.

"Now it needs a pretty bow," I say.

"I want a big one," he says, looking at his project.

"A big one won't do. It has to have the right size," I say while bending down to pick the medium sized bows from under the counter.

The noise and the sudden cold air make me freeze on the spot.

"Oh fuck!"

"What is it?" Brett says turning to look at me.

"My costume ripped. Brett, I only have a bra under it," I say, trying to keep the fabric on my body.

"Let me see," he says, coming closer.

"No!"

"Callie, I want to help you. Turn around,"

I feel mortified but I do so. I know it is bad.

"You need a new uniform. The back and one side under your armpit is ripped,"

"Lionel said he doesn't have any downstairs. I have asked him every time that I see him,"

"Bull shit! There are piles of costumes in the storage. Come on!"

Filipa arrives to the station and looks at the scene in front of her with a lifted eyebrow. Brett is trying to hold the fabric together.

"Filipa, I will bring Callie to get a new uniform. I will bring her back soon,"

We walk quickly to the housekeeping cart and Brett drives like a maniac through the mall. We arrive to the elevators and he stands behind me to cover my exposed skin. We make it to the storage of the mall.

"Lionel!"

"What do you want?" Lionel yells from the back. "Oh, it is you Brett. How can I help you?" he says in a polite voice.

"Give Callie a new uniform. One that fits," Brett says in a demanding voice.

Lionel looks at me with flared nostrils.

"Sure," he says between gritted teeth.

He goes to the back and hands me a shiny new elf dress in size 16. I go quickly to a bathroom and change. Brett is still outside waiting for me.

"That looks great. Let's go little elf. Time to wrap happiness,"

I smile at him and kiss his cheek, feeling thankful.