Chapter 15 - Shopper

Dinner with my parents last night was certainly different. My parents felt truly concerned about Brett. I told them about him having a sister that lives out of town. Further, he has never talked about his family or friends.

Dad told me this morning that he checked on him before going to bed. Probably to check that we were not sleeping together. He said that Brett was sleeping deeply while clutching to a pillow. When I checked on him this morning before going to work, he was in the same position.

Mom has always been a stay-at-home mother since we were born, and she was delighted that she has somebody to take care of.

"Hi Callie!" Laura says, coming in the employee lounge.

"Hey there! How is life?" I say, giving her a hug. "I haven't seen you in a few days,"

"Everything is going good. In fact, tomorrow is my last day here. I found a job in Boston so I will be arranging for my move in the next weeks. I start after the New Year. I had been there in the last days for some meetings and to sign my contract,"

"That is great news! You should send a message to my brother Dan. He is a student there and can help you if you need anything,"

"Yeah... about that... I already called your brother... Well, we call almost every evening," Laura says, trying to suppress a smile.

"No way! No way! Are Dan and you dating?" I say and feel so damn happy at this development.

"Not really dating yet. We are good friends. There is mutual interest. Once I'm there, we will see what happens,"

"I would love to have you as my sister in law! Daniel better not screw this," I say, making her laugh. "I really mean it. Look past the fact that he snores and you have a winner there,"

"He snores?" Laura says with a giggle and 'm afraid that I'm making things worse.

"He does... a bit... not all the time... and not like a lion roar, more like a kitten purring,"

"A kitten? Oh gosh, I can't wait to call him tonight," she says in a fit of laughter.

"I swear he is a good guy. Never mind that I told you that,"

Laura and I go downstairs and I try to make up for the silly comment about my brother's snoring. Dan will kill me if he finds out, but so far Laura just seems charmed about his imperfections. Two out of four parts of my birthday wish have come true.

The day goes as usual. Wrapping tons of gifts, having good laughs with Filipa and thinking about Brett. I called my mom during my lunch break and she reassured me that he is doing better.

I finish wrapping a gorgeous wine decanter and hand it back to the customer who grins at the pretty packaging. The next customer moves forward and hands me a heavy shopping bag from the most expensive department store in the mall.

"Good afternoon, sir. Let's see what we've got. Would you like these gifts wrapped individually or together?" I say to the elegant man in front of me.

"You can choose how you want to pack them," he says in a bit of a bored voice.

"Alright," I say taking out the things from the bag.

Among the items, there are various cardigan sets, a silk Pashmina in cream, a pearl necklace and a perfume that I remember seeing at grandma's dresser. I place them in boxes carefully layered with tissue paper, and then start wrapping them while the man watches everything I do.

"Here you go, sir. You have picked very beautiful gifts for your mother. Happy holidays," I say, handing him the shopping bag with the boxes.

The man looks at me with his head cocked to the side.

"What makes you think that this is for my mother?" he says he says in a very serious tone.

Oh shit! What have I got myself into?

"They are very classy clothes and accessories. My own grandmother favors the perfume that you picked," I say, trying to keep my answer professional and warm.

"What would you buy then for a woman in her early fifties?"

"Depends on the taste of the person, but I guess that you can't never go wrong with an LBD, soft leather gloves and diamond studs,"

"LBD? Isn't that like a type of sandwich?" the man says, leaning on the counter and looking amused.

"It means little black dress. You must be referring to a BLT: bacon, lettuce and tomato. Boulangerie in the food court makes a very tasty one. About the shopping, there is a personal shopper department at this store," I say, pointing at his bag. "They will be more than happy to suggest gifts for a lady of any age. You can even throw a box of champagne-chocolate truffles from Magritte for a good measure. All ladies are weak for them,"

"You seem to know this mall very well," he says.

"It has become kind of a second home since Black Friday. That is when I started working here for the Christmas season,"

"What is your name, young lady?"

"Callie," I say with a smile.

"Very well Callie. I'm Sander. I guess that I have stuff to return and new shopping to do. Maybe I will stop by the food court to eat a BLT. Thanks," he says, still looking at me with curiosity.

My shift comes to an end, and I'm looking forward to go home and see how Brett is doing. I open my locker and see the folded blue note. I feel irritated even when I haven't read it. This is getting ridiculous.

'You might have impressed the big boss, but you are still a loser.'

What the hell is this about? What boss?

Nooo... no way... no fucking way! That can't be right. Was the man that asked my name the owner of the mall? I feel as if I'm getting cold and warm at the same time. Me and my big mouth!

I get my phone out, start the browser and type in the search box: Palms Mall owner. The search tells me that his name is... who else... Sander Palms. I then look at his photo and there he is; the same guy that came to the wrapping station.

Wait a minute, the note says that I had impressed him! Can't wait to go home and tell Brett all about it. Not even the harsh words of whoever writes the notes can mess my day.