Chapter 17

Mira

I woke up after a few minutes as my phone started ringing. 'Is this Mira Kapoor, Vikram's fiancée?'
'Yes. It is her.'
'This is Commander Randeep Singh calling from Kashmir, to inform you about Vikram.'
That just made my heart beat faster than usual. What was wrong? 'Is there something I need to be worried about?' I decided to hit head on and voice my fear only to get a small chuckle from the other side. 'Not really. As you know Vikram had volunteered for the outburst in J&K and some of our soldiers were hurt pretty badly. It just happens that Vikram was one of them.' I realised that I was holding my breath all this while. Vikram was hurt badly?
'How bad is it?'
'He's absolutely fine. In fact he was quite lucky enough to have missed the bullet. We could've lost him. He's been admitted in the Military hospital right now as we speak and would be discharged by tomorrow at the latest.'
I was so shell shocked through the entire conversation that I didn't think I'd heard him correctly, 'He's coming home?'
I could hear the commander smile through the phone, 'Not just that. He'll be back within a day.'

That call had just managed to lift up my spirits a hundred times. My worries, my health, yesterday's trauma all were long forgotten and I started dancing all over the place. I noticed Ma, Anuj, Natasha, Radha and even Shravan all looking at me as if I'd lost my nuts along the way.
'It is dancing time, stop looking at me like I'm a mad woman.'
I went over to Ma and sat down on my knee in front of her. 'It was the commander on the phone a minute ago, Vikram's coming home tomorrow.'
I could see Ma's face light up with joy. I turned around to look at Anuj, 'I guess you can still hold on to that dream of yours.' He hugged me, happiness etched on his face. And suddenly the house was filled with joy. Happiness of seeing her son, joy of being with their friend, their brother. As for me I was ecstatic to be with the love of my life again.

This time at the airport I was more confident than ever. This time I knew I'd see him, get to hold him in my arms.
'I didn't know the news that he was getting back would be so hard on her. Dude we're here an hour early today!' Radha nudged Natasha to be quiet.
'I don't care you know. I can hear you, but I still don't care.' I turned around and narrowed my eyes at them, 'I'd told you I wouldn't have mind coming alone here today.'
'Haha! And if you would've ended up fainting today as well who would've carried you home?'  Anuj started laughing at the comment he'd just made.
'Very well Anuj, Vikram will do the honours, and besides I'm too happy to faint today.'
An hour passed off like a speedy train in front of our eyes and now we were all looking expectantly at the arrival section hoping to see the familiar face appear amidst the crowd, the warm smile that would flash on that familiar face upon seeing us all here. And suddenly like a lone star that shines up the night sky I spotted him trying to get hold of his luggage. My heart skipped a beat, longer than a second at the sight of him and I dashed off in his direction without thinking twice. As I got closer I could smell blood from his uniform, three days stink of blood. I could see the uniform torn near his left shoulder exposing starch marks beneath. But that didn't stop me from hugging him tightly from behind. Well, nothing today would've stopped me from doing that. As if sensing similar thoughts Vikram held onto my hand on his chest tightly. As tightly as he could. After about god knows how many minutes or hours he pulled me around, so that he could see me. 'Vikram' that was all I could manage to come out of my mouth before the dam burst out. The dam that I had held onto since so many days, just to keep my promise. The tears that I had put away to prove that I was strong enough to handle the situation came down hurriedly today. Vikram didn't stop me from crying either. In fact through my blurry vision I could see a lone tear escaping him eye as well. I hugged him tightly again. Resting my head against his chest, listening to the rhythm of his heart beat. 'Thank you for coming back to me.' I don't know if he even heard the small whisper that had left my mouth but I guess he did because I heard 'Always and forever' whispered back at me.

Somehow I was glad that the four had left us alone for a while. I was happy to be with him, and I guess I needed this lone time. I suddenly remembered the horrific letters that he'd written to me and I started hitting him playfully all over.
'Ouch! What's this for?'
'This is nothing. You should be actually spanked for those letters.' He looked at me with those warm puppy eyes and a face so handsome that I had a hard time being angry at the moment. I covered his face with my hands, 'Stop trying to melt me with those puppy eyes of yours. I'm really angry right now.' He pulled my hands apart and looked at me with nothing but pure love in his eyes, 'How about we make a deal?' I narrowed my eyes trying to decode the meaning behind his deal, 'What deal?'
'You can spank me as much as you'd like once I get better. Right now your playful hits are killing my hurt shoulder here.' He pointed out to his left shoulder. I looked at him horrifically, my eyes wide open.
'A bullet just missed my shoulder. Nothing much. I'm fine.'
'The commander told me you got lucky.'
He smiled at that, 'I guess I was still wanted back here to be a punching bag for you.' I looked at him scornfully through the corner of my eye. 'Okay I'm sorry to play the punching bag with you. Happy?'
I nudged him playfully, and he put his arm around me once again engulfing me into a side hug.
'Are you love birds done for a while? I want to hug my brother as well.' I hit Anuj playfully on his arm as he hugged Vikram, 'It's good to have you back bro!' Vikram sighed loudly next to me, 'It's good to be home!' Shravan hugged him next, 'It's good to see you home boy!' Shravan smiled mischievously at that, 'Home is where the heart is right?' Vikram shook his head at that, 'Steal my lines for all I care as long as you stand by it.'
'Move out of my way, I missed you too Vikram.'
Vikram looked at the delicate person who was now standing next to Anuj, 'Oh my Mrs. Sharma, I've missed you too.' Vikram hugged Natasha and kissed her lightly on her head before turning towards Radha who voiced her long fear was well 'I'm glad to see you in one piece.' She hugged him lightly.
'I'm glad to be back alive in one piece as well.'

I wiped out the tears that were making their way out again looking at the happy scene in front of me. I guess I was being too obvious with the smile and the happy tears running down my cheeks because Vikram looked back at me with his eyebrows raised, 'Not stopping today are they?' I turned my heads sideways like a child. He smiled at that.
'I missed that smile.'
'I missed that voice.'
I hugged him tightly again whispering softly, 'It is going to be this way every time right?' he sighed at my comment. 'I'm sorry but yes it is going to be like this for a while. But guess what, I'm going to be back home just like this, every single time.' His grip tightened further at that.
Anuj spanked my head playfully before continuing, 'How about we talk about the blushing bride to be for a change? Are you ready to be Mrs. Vikram Shekhawat, Mira?' I pulled out from the hug and looked into Vikram's warm eyes and the smile on my face broadened. 'As ready as I'll ever be.'

Note: Well, thank-you all for walking down this journey together and making it memorable all the way. This brings us to the end of the story but to a beautiful start to Mira and Vikram's life. I'm going to miss these two as well as the other four and I hope all of you do too.

On a serious note I'd like to point out that though not every soldier out there gets the happy ending that this story has given us, let us together hope and pray every single day that they do.
To those brave men fighting out there for us and the strong women waiting at home for them to get back safe. 

P.S: Have just added an epilogue as a bonus chapter to the story.. Continue reading ahead!