Chapter 7

Mira

'Can you meet me right now?' there was silence on the other side for a few minutes after which I heard a very groggy voice, 'Mira? It's not even 8 in the morning! Why're you so hyped up?'
'Can you meet me right now?' I don't know if it was the anger or the urgency in my voice that she sensed but she eventually agreed to meet me, 'Give me ten minutes and I'll meet you at your place.'
'No, meet me in the park outside lane 8.' That was the closest park in our vicinity. And with me not wanting to go back home, angry and upset I had no other option.

Lost in my own thoughts as I sat on the bench in the park, I did not notice Radha walk near me, until her shadow cast itself over my head. 'There you are. You look like the common man - the thinker.' I gave her a very scornful look. 'The facing or so. Whatever! I was just trying to lighten up the mood.' I looked away from her and before she could come up with any of her stupid ideas to lighten up the mood, I decided to tell her, straight to the point. 'He's back.' She looked at me questioningly, 'You're recent ex-boyfriend you broke up with because things were getting serious, he wants you back? Wait what was his name again Arnav?' I was beyond pissed by then. First Vikram and now Radha. Why weren't these two ever concerned about my feelings? Was it that they never understood me? Ever? I tried it once more. 'Vikram is back.' And I guess that hit the bat correctly. Now she must've realised what I meant when I said he was back. Stupid Radha. 'Wait. So if he is back shouldn't you be happy and joyous about it? I mean you were the only one who still had that hope alive in your heart that he'd be back one day. So why're you angry?'
'Fifteen years Radha. Fifteen years. He did not care about me. He didn't care whether I was alive or dead. He didn't care what I must've gone through after he left me at his porch without even a single word. And you want me to be happy? I am happy. Relieved to find him alive you can say.'
'Is that why you aren't home?'
'Yes. Knowing him, he must've gone ahead to meet my parents and Sanaya, now that I know he indeed is my Vikram. And I do not want to face the drama at home, who would have the same expressions on their faces that you have now.'

Before Radha could come up with anything my phone buzzed indicating a message received from someone.

Vikram: You can go home now. I'm done meeting them and they won't even bug you about my return.
'Who is it?' Radha looked at me expectantly.
'It's good old Vikram, who thinks he knows me like the back of his hand.'
'Well, after reading that, I won't deny it as well.' I gave her a scowl, and thought about the perfect reply I could possibly have for him. I knew what I wanted to type.

Me: I will go whenever I want to. It is my house. Don't worry, I will definitely not keep my loved ones pining for fifteen years.

As if on an afterthought I went ahead and typed another one for him.

Me: And don't you go on thinking about how well you know me, because you don't. I'm not the same person that I was when you left me.

'Touché' I snarled at Radha's exclamation, but she still continued what she had on her mind, 'Your swearing at me isn't going to stop the care and love that you have for him, which you've kept all bottled up inside.'
'I do not.'
'Do not what?'
'I do not feel anything for him.'
'Hmm. Say that now, and then let's look back at this sentence of yours when your anger dies down. And when will that be I ask?' She did not even let me answer that 'I think even two days would be a whole lot for you to keep it going.' And when I didn't say anything she started laughing.

It was around lunch time when thing started going weird. Again. When my mother was in the kitchen preparing lunch, which by the way seemed more special than usual, and whenever I tried to step into the kitchen Sanaya blocked me out. My father on the other hand was engrossed either in the newspaper or in some book. And whenever I wanted to talk to him about anything he'd just get up and move into some other room. What was wrong with everyone? I got out my cell phone and sent him a message.

Me: What have you done to my family? It's like they're under some evil spell. And I got a reply to it instantly.
Vikram: I did nothing. They weren't as arrogant as you were to receive me.

And before I could fire up a reply at him he sent me another one.

Vikram: But it was nice to hear you think I could mesmerise people. Did I ever do that to you?
Me: One, I wasn't cocky and even if I was you deserved it. You left me abandoned at the porch. Two, you conveniently forgot the part where I said evil.
Vikram: Like you conveniently forgot the question that I asked you.
Me: Forget it, I do not want to talk to you.
Vikram: Well about that, One, you cannot ignore me for long, I know that for a fact and so does everyone who knows us and two, I'll answer it for you, I never mesmerised you, you didn't need that.
Me: Stop answering for me. I'm capable of doing that for myself. And yes I can ignore you for long. Try me.
Vikram: Okay let's see you do it.
Me: Cool! Let's start now. I'm not replying to you anymore.
Vikram: Hmm. Like I said. Let's see.

And just like that I shut my phone off, but I wasn't aware of the smile that was pasted on my face after this banter, which sure did not go unnoticed by my mother. 'What are you grinning at?' I shook my head out of it, 'Nothing, do you need any help with lunch?'
'I thought you'd never ask. Start laying out the table will you dear?'
'Sure thing mom.' I started laying out the table like I usually did. For the four of us, when Sanaya popped her head up out of nowhere. 'We're having some guests over for lunch you know. Mom's friends.'
'I didn't know.'
'Well you would've if you were here in the morning.' I did not miss the spite in her voice. And I wouldn't have thanked my dad who shut her up instantly. 'Sanaya!'
'Oops! Sorry dad. I remember.'
I was confused as hell, what was going on in this house? I thought I'd still give it a shot and try to find out, 'Remember what?' But again Sanaya instantly spat back, 'Nothing for your nut-sized brain.'
'My brain is well developed. Thankyou.'
'Cool! Then go add two more plates on the table.' I decided to let Sanaya be. Stupid cow. I figured I'd change the subject and talk to mom, 'Do I know this friend of yours mom?'
'Yes dear, you do. But I'm not sure you'd remember her.' I left it at that.

Just then the doorbell rang and mom yelled out rather loudly, 'Must be them!'
'I'll get it!' I yelled back. I didn't know why all of a sudden everyone was yelling in this house. But then a lot of things were going on here that had no reasoning to it as well. I shook my head out of these thoughts and opened the door to find a beautiful lady with the warmest smile I'd ever seen, who I did remember very well, and the jackass who I'd just promised I'd ignore for long standing at the door. Mrs. Shekhawat hugged me warmly, 'Wow, Mira you've grown into a lovely young girl. Just like I had dreamed of.' She kissed me on my cheek lightly while I touched her feet in respect. I still had the smile lingering on my face when I turned back to face Vikram. 'You couldn't have informed me that you were coming over for lunch?' He furrowed his brows thinking deeply and then shook his head in a no. 'Well, by the way I bought these for you.' I looked at the box of chocolates in which he gave to me, it said Ferrero Rocher. 'You remember?' I could sense the lightness in my voice. 'Of course I do, there's nothing about us I'd ever want to forget.' With that he even kissed me lightly on my cheek and followed his mother inside. I on the other hand was left startled and speechless with his words and of course the kiss that he had planted on my cheek.