Chapter 8

Vikram

Well I didn't mean to kiss her on her cheek, but the moment felt right somehow. Wait, who am I kidding, of course I wanted to kiss her, I agree not at that time, but surely somewhere down the line. Maybe. I could feel Mira following Ma and me inside, which somehow broadened the smile that I already had pasted on my face. 'Oh my I see someone's face is lit up!' I immediately tried to look surprised and faced Sanaya with a very confused and questioning look. But thankfully that question wasn't directed to me, I stole a glance at Mira, was she really that happy? 'It is a Ferrero Rocher!' Like that seemed to clear the air, but amazingly Sanaya fired her next one at me rather than at Mira so that did seem to clear her mind. 'So where's mine? Or did you forget me like you always did?' I smiled rather mischievously at her, and walked up with another chocolate in my hand, 'Firstly, I never ignored you. Ever. And secondly as far as I recall you never really were a fan of Ferrero Rocher were you? It was always about Dairy Milk, right?' Sanaya narrowed her eyes at me and suddenly her face split into a smile. 'You really do have the charm don't you?' I had nothing to say to that, I just gave her the chocolate and was on my way to sit next to my mom when Ananya aunty, Mira's mom continued to pull my leg further 'Of course, his charm and his handsome personality must definitely be a magnet for women. Reema you're going to have a tough time holding onto him.' I couldn't help stealing a glance at Mira, who had a frown on her forehead. Wait was she jealous? How did jealous women even look? Wow, how amateur was I in this stupid field. I really needed Shravan's help here. The playboy. I smirked inwardly at that.

Everything was going around quite smoothly up until lunch, when Mira went into the kitchen to fill the plates. That's when she discovered the menu for lunch, 'Mom, it seems you've prepared food today just to please someone. Everything here is his favourite dish.' I heard that last sentence as I'd just stepped into the kitchen to drink water and couldn't help myself from saying, 'I'm glad at least you remember my choice.' I stressed more on the words my choice, for her to read in between them. But she paid no heed to it and tried to move out from the kitchen in a huff when I somehow caught hold of her wrist near the kitchen door and whispered in her ear, 'By the way your choice is no different, you know.'
'Maybe back then we had similar tastes 'in food' but now it's changed.' Somehow she felt the need to quote the 'in food' part. Wow! Women and their incorrigible brain, no one till date I'm sure had it figured out. Not even Shravan, I was sure. And that's when things started to get bad, Mira tried to change the subject which I had an idea that she would but I had no inclination that her subject could be none other than my father. 'Reema aunty I couldn't help noticing but where is Anay uncle? It's been fifteen years since he last saw me.' Mira had always shared a wonderful bond with my dad who loved her beyond my understanding, but little did she know what he had done to his family. I immediately looked at my mother and squeezed her hand in assurance. I'm sure Mira must've understood something was wrong with the silence that followed the room afterward and she did not mention that man's name again. I was glad. We continued our lunch in quite an awkward silence then, till my phone buzzed indicating the arrival of a text. Mira? I looked at her questioningly but she seemed to looking everywhere but at me. I opened the message.

Mira: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to change the atmosphere entirely. I just miss him. We never got to talk about it, about you, about everything. I'm sorry for the way I've been acting since morning.

And before I could think of a reply for that it buzzed again.

Mira: Please put it on silent mode since this is going to continue for a while and we don't need people giving us weird looks, do we?

Geez. This woman had it all figured out it seemed.

Me: You don't need to apologize. I understand. You were very close to him, more than even I ever was. I was just worried for Ma. Of course whatever's happened is history and Ma is stronger than you can ever imagine, but you know me.

As if on an afterthought and probably to change the atmosphere back again I couldn't help sending another one.

Me: And is this really going to continue for a while? I thought you were going to stick to being angry with me for long, remember?

I smiled as I sent it. Of course I had my phone set to the silent mode immediately but that didn't stop me from pulling her leg every now and then. I saw her narrowing her eyes at me before she jerked her head back down to resume the typing.

Mira: Do you want me to be angry at you. Again?

I laughed at that, a bit loudly I guess when I received weird glances from Sanaya and Ma and I had to silently mouth I'm sorry to both of them.

Me: Were you seriously that angry back then?
Mira: Do you think I wasn't?
Me: Maybe you were but the point is both of us here know that you cannot stay angry with me for long.
Mira: You still fail to realise the point behind why I was angry with you in the first place right?

I could see she was getting angry again. But somehow this had to come out and get over with.

Me: And somehow you fail to understand that I never would've left you if I had a choice.
Mira: Like I said, we need to talk, and that's the reason why I even messaged you in the first place. I apologised for my outburst in the morning. I should've waited to hear you out before doing that.

Wow! She really had matured into a wonderful woman.

Mira: Helllooo! Did you even read what I sent? Anyway, I always knew you were a bit slow in understanding with that thick head of yours.

I saw her face split into a smile. That warm smile, which still resembled the ten year old Mira to me. That smile even today had the power to break my heart into pieces.

Me: Let me eat in peace will you? You always were a chatterbox. We'll talk later. Eat first.

Before Mira could even type in something Sanaya broke the ice, 'If you two are done chatting could we all eat in peace? Together?' And thankfully everyone burst out laughing, the stressful topic long forgotten.

'Ananya the food was simply delicious. I wish I had some magic in my hands like yours.' I shook my head frantically what was wrong with these women? Everyone cooked wonderfully. Why do they get the feeling that to praise someone you need to place yourself beneath them? 'I'm sorry to interrupt you ladies but I do not agree with that. I think both of you are wonderful cooks and wonderful women, with different types of magic in you. Let's appreciate that.' I don't know if it was because of what I said right now, or just because I always was Ananya aunty's favourite that she kissed me on my forehead. 'You've raised a fine man there Reema. I'm proud of you Vikram. Proud of the person you've grown into.' I was filled with pride suddenly. But suddenly the eyes of these beautiful ladies had turned moist. 'Shh! No more tears. No! Those days are over. Now it's time to be proud of ourselves and who we've turned into. Right?' I hugged both of them together. Wow! This felt right. This felt like family. Like home. I noticed Mira wiping away a lone tear through the corner of my eye. I made a mental note that it indeed was time I met her and talked about it.

It was time to leave and I took uncle and aunty's blessings. Later I hugged Sanaya and I realised that Mira was missing. 'Where is Mira?' Everyone started calling her, when suddenly she rushed back into the living room form out of nowhere. 'Where were you Mira? They're about to leave.'
'Dad, it's not like they're going forever, and besides I'm sure they'd not leave without a goodbye from me!' I smiled when she said that, I was glad to hear it out in a way and I couldn't help but notice that she looked at me when she said it, it was meant for me. Mira hugged Ma, who kissed her on her forehead in return, 'Mira has turned into a beautiful woman Ananya!' After the goodbyes we walked out the porch towards our car. We were just about to sit in the car when Mira dashed out onto the porch behind me. She held my hand pulling me to a stop.
'Mira?'
'I had got this for you fifteen years ago. I had come running to meet you, it was your birthday and I had come first in class. I've kept it for you ever since.' That was probably the first time that I realised what I had lost in the process of trying to prove myself. And somehow I couldn't stop those tears today as I hugged Mira tightly. Afraid of letting her go again.

Note: After a long time some thoughts from Vikram's angle. I hope you like it. Keep voting / commenting. I hope to come up with the next part soon.