Chapter 11

Mira

Everything seemed perfect, like it was just meant to be. I was in Vikram's arms, finally.
'Vikram?'
'Hmm?'
'This is so perfect. I just want to stay like this forever.'
'Hmm.'
I knew there was a smile pasted on his face just like I had one on mine. 'Aren't you going to say anything?'
'Mira, shh. Just stay silent for a minute, let me just live in the moment, you in my arms.'
I smiled at that, listening to the rhythmic beat of his heart that was placed just near my ear. I kissed his heart, realising it was beating just for me. I liked the sound of it. Finally after what seemed like eternity even though we would have loved to stay just the way we were reality checked in as Vikram's phone buzzed displaying a name Striker, 'uh?' he smiled at my expression but never the less continued with his phone call. I couldn't make much sense out of it since I was listening to only one part, Vikram's but I was pretty sure the person on the other end, 'the striker' was pretty pissed at him. After the call ended Vikram looked at me rather disappointingly, 'As much as I would've loved the day to go on the way it is, Anuj needs me right now.'
'Oh Anuj!'
he started laughing at that, the magnetic laugh which I had so loved since the day we met. 'Yes Anuj, we all call him the striker.' I just moved my head disgusted at the name, why striker?! Okay, what did it matter to me anyway, I would call him Anuj. He kissed me on my forehead before we started making our way back. 'Vikram?' He stopped and looked at me, waiting for me to continue, 'This Anuj, is he stuck in a weird problem?' confused at my question, 'Why do you ask?'
'I mean would you mind if I tagged along with you?' He smiled at my childishness, 'Of course, I'd love to show-off my girlfriend.' I gave him a thirty-two toothed full smile at that, 'You're full of surprises today aren't you?'

Anuj Sharma, the most prominent thing that I noticed about him was his warm, welcoming face. 'I'm sorry I had to call you urgently man!' He seemed quite alarmed about something and it wasn't just me but Vikram noticed it as well, 'I'm here for you bro, what's wrong? What's bothering you?' Before he could continue further he gave me a quizzical look and Vikram realised he needed to get us acquainted to each other, 'Mira this is Anuj, as good as my brother and Anuj this is Mira.' I shook hands with him but then suddenly Anuj started talking to Vikram in what seemed like a symbolic language to me and I found myself being lost, 'What are you talking about?' Vikram had his fingers on his forehead, practically covering his face so I looked at Anuj for some answers. 'Well Vikram at the academy often used to be lost, thinking about something and I never prodded him for any answers. I knew he'd confide in me when he felt he wanted to. But he never did. And once I came across a letter on his desk which he'd left open by mistake, it was addressed to someone named Mira, and that's the first and the last time we ever spoke about you, up until today.' I looked at Vikram questioningly, 'A letter?' But his eyes gave away his words clearly which stated later. 'So Anuj now that you've met Mira, let's get back to the main issue, what is bothering you?' 'Natasha.' Vikram looked at me to clear the relations here, 'Natasha is Anuj's fiancée.' He continued addressing Anuj further, 'So what's Natasha done?'
'I wish I knew. She's paranoid I guess. I don't understand women Vikram. Their minds make no bloody sense. At times they think something and before you really end up understanding that thought their mind travels to something else.'
'Ahem!' I made sure I was heard over Anuj's rants.
'That was way too chauvinistic. I'm sorry. I was talking about Natasha in particular. I didn't mean everyone as such.'
I looked straight at Anuj and spoke, 'I hated the way you ranted about us women but I can try to help you, though I'm still not sure I should. I mean I hate male chauvinist people.' The last line was directed at Vikram. 'What?! I am not one! I never said anything about women here.' He slapped Anuj hard on his back. 'Do not create problems between us because of your silly issues.' I decided to intervene before it turned bad, 'Okay stop! Anuj will you please tell us what has happened?'
'It all started day before at the bar. After you left Vikram, I dropped Shergill and went over to meet Natasha, her stupid cousin was there.' It seemed Vikram apparently knew the cousin well enough because Anuj elaborated further for me, 'Well, she has a thing for me it seems and she doesn't care I'm engaged to Natasha. And she being her cousin I cannot be rude to her.' Vikram broke in between, 'Striker cannot be rude to anyone.' I've had enough of that name and I couldn't take it anymore, 'Stop with the striker already will you!' As if delighted by my outburst Anuj shook my hand and exclaimed, 'Thank you! This idiot has a weird thing about calling people with names!' I shook my head and continued, 'So Natasha thinks you're flirting with her cousin?'
'I don't know, because at one point I thought that was the problem and the next thing I knew she'd started bantering about Shergill!' I looked at Vikram for elaboration but he just shook his head, 'You don't need to know about him.' And both of them burst out laughing. After a minute or so Anuj continued, 'After Shergill it was her friend whatever her name is, and it's been going on and on ever since.' By the end of his explanation I had a smile on my face.
'What?!' 'Do you know what this is about?' I looked at the shocked and confused expressions of the men in front of me.
'You, Anuj, you're about to get married, this happens, she'd just worried and it's just a phase, just hold on. And as for you mister, you need lessons on all this.'
Vikram narrowed his eyes at me, 'So you're planning to behave just like this?'
'I just might.'
'Well madam, I am no Anuj, I will not get worried like him at all. Somehow your banters don't last long, and I know you'd come around eventually.'
I started hitting him playfully on his arms. And he side hugged me.

It was an end to an awesome day, but I couldn't manage to sleep, not so soon. As soon as I managed to close my eyes I would get back to that moment when Vikram had actually spelled out that he loved me. I couldn't believe it as yet. I pinched myself just to make sure it wasn't a dream. 'Ouch!' that hurt real badly. My phone buzzed just then and this time I didn't even need to check the screen to know who the sender would be.

Vikram: Hey you!
Me: Why're you up yet?
Vikram: I'm an insomniac. We hardly sleep you know. Why're you awake?
Me: I'm texting in my sleep.
Vikram: Liar.
Me: Fine. You caught me. So how long have you and Anuj known each other?
Vikram: Well as long as you've known that friend of yours I remember from the bar.
Me: We were three of us.
Vikram: Oh not the one I sweet talked to. The other.
Me: Radha. She's my best friend. You have to meet her tomorrow. Or else she'll kill me.
Vikram: We cannot let that happen now. Can we?

And before I could punch in a reply to that he sent me another one.

Vikram: By the way Anuj says thanks, apparently you're advice seems to be working and also I liked that you helped Anuj figure that thing out. He gets pretty upset when it comes to Natasha. Plus he means a lot to me.
Me: Well, I know that. You did say he was like your brother. And I helped him mostly because of that plus also because you had helped mine once as well.
Vikram: Aha! Return favour ha!

I decided to change the topic to a safer ground.

Me: And how long have Natasha and Anuj known each other?
Vikram: I don't really know much, but I guess around four to five years. Why?
Me: Just. Curiosity.
Vikram: Well, Tiny-tot not everybody knows their partner the way we do. Every couple is different and that makes everyone special.
Me: Hmm. I know you're very lucky to have me.
Vikram: Ha-ha. Dream on tot!
Me: Now that was one name I always used to love.
Vikram: That was because no one apart from me called you that.
Me: Made me feel very special.
Vikram: You are.
Me: So are you.
Vikram: Sleep on that thought now my tiny-tot!
Me: I will and you promise to tell me the inside joke on Shergill tomorrow.
Vikram: Okay I will. Sweet dreams!
Me: And also about the letter that you seem to have conveniently hidden.
Vikram: Hmm. Sleep now. Will you?
Me: I love you.
Vikram: I love you too!