XC - Maria

I JUST BOUGHT A TVD JEWELLRY BUNDLE AND A REPLICA OF DAMON'S DAYLIGHT RING IS IN IT AND THE STUFF IS COMING SEPARATELY BUT THE RING CAME TODAY AND OH MY GOD I LOVE IT

OMIGAWD I AM SO HAPPY

Anywaaaaaay...

***IF YOU ANY OF YOU HAVE TROUBLE DEALING WITH THEMES OF DEATH/SUICIDE, DO NOT READ THIS CHAPTER. IT'S NOT REQUIRED FOR YOU TO READ IT TO UNDERSTAND THE STORY.***

The song above is "My Jolly Sailor Bold". It goes perfectly with this chapter, and I'm sure that you'll all figure out why soon. :)

Enjoy. ^_^

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Ninety

Cádiz, Spain

1701

"Roseia, you might want to go and visit Maria," I heard Niklaus say from across the room.

I looked up at him, and I knew that something was wrong the second that I did.

"Why? What happened?"

He pursed his lips, then swallowed. "Her husband, Antonio... The ship he was on was taken by pirates. None of the crew were taken, which means..."

"They were all killed," I said, biting my lip.

He nodded solemnly. "It's likely that someone has already told her."

"Thank you, Niklaus," I said, standing up and walking over to the door. "Who told you?"

"Another merchant ship found it burning, and I compelled one of the sailors assigned to it to tell me why they were all so depressed," he said. "I came as soon he told me."

Say what you want about Niklaus Mikaelson, but... He knew what it was like to lose the person he loved. He felt sympathy for anyone that was in the same position. At least... He did back then.

I left our home as quickly as I could, going to the cliffs.

Maria lived in a small house just outside of the Cádiz, but far enough that it was on the cliffs instead of on low land like the rest of the city was. She and her husband liked living a more secluded life. They loved being alone, but they hated being apart.

Even so, Antonio sometimes left for short amounts of time to take jobs as part of the crew on merchant ships. He would sail to his destination, then be back in a matter of weeks. They had only been wed less than a month ago, but anyone could see that they were in love. Maria loved Antonio, and she especially loved that he was a sailor. She told me that they would sit by the fire for hours as he told her what had happened on the trips, and she enjoyed them greatly.

And now, he was gone.

"Maria!" I called out as I neared the house. I ran to the door, knocking on it and listening closely. She wasn't walking around, but she was there. I could hear her breathing. Surprisingly, I couldn't hear her crying. "Maria, please, speak to me!"

When she didn't answer, I decided to take matters in my own hands and enter. She had invited me in previously, so I was able to walk inside without her telling me I could.

"Please, you need to-"I cut myself off when I listened closely. There was a rustling of paper in the bedroom, so I went in that direction. The door was wide open, and I saw her.