Chapter 57: Checkmate!?

Sorry for the extremely late update! School has been killing me, and I'm also working on my new account that's specifically for Fullmetal Alchemist Fanfics (even though no one reads it anymore xD). Go check it out! It's @TheDreamAlchemist and my first story is called The Alkahestrist. Enjoy this very rushed and bad chapter :P

MIETTE: Hmph. Fine! I never liked nosy little brats like you. My friend's on his way now. And, oh, there he is!

Serena takes a quick glance over, to the place Miette gestures at. Her eyes widen.

SERENA: C- Calem...

At this moment, Ash comes running into the area.

ASH: Oh, Miette and Serena! You're both here- wait. What's HE doing here?!

The boy gives a solid glare at the other, who simply smiles.

CALEM: It's been a while, Ash... Serena.

ASH: *Cold* Get out. Leave. Before I hurt you.

Serena's fairly surprised herself, as she had never seen Ash so angry, so murderous prior to this moment.

SERENA: Fennekin! Sylveon! *Calls out Pokémon*

MIETTE: Slurpuff, Disarming Voice!

But everyone ducks behind Sylveon, who immediately understands and uses Protect.

CALEM: Now, now, everyone, don't get too hasty.

ASH: *Growls* Yeah, right! Pikachu, Electro Ball! Hawlucha, Flying Press!

SERENA: *Grits teeth* Fennekin, Flamethrower! Sylveon, Shadow Ball!

The explosion near the used-to-be-peaceful ice cream shop scatters the civilians away from the scene. Ash grabs Serena's arm, and starts pulling away.

ASH: Come on! We gotta run!

SERENA: Eh- oh, right! *Fumbles with her phone while running* Arceus! I can't call without stopping!

While fleeing still, the four Pokémon combine their attacks and fire them backwards, to hopefully slow them down. But when they finally look back, they're not there anymore.

CALEM: Checkmate.

In a single moment, Miette and Calem surround them, along with their Pokémon. However, it seems they have caught even more Pokémon, so each has a team of six.

SERENA: *Concentrates, thinking* Please, anyone, Ash... lend me your strength!

The familiar golden light beams onto Serena, and after it fades, her worried look is replaced by pure confidence.

ASH: I'll call up the others-

???: No need!

The rest of the gang comes running towards them, all of their Pokémon out and ready to battle. Even so, they're pretty outnumbered.

All at once, commands are given, and chaos ensues.

ASH: *Thinks* No one can run away anymore. It's time to fight. Even if it was supposed to be a normal, casual trip to the mall, we had to be prepared for this.

The boy concentrates deeply, ignoring the raging battle surrounding him. He chooses not to think about everything, and only one thing. Focusing on one point.

To his surprise, midst the smoke and explosions, Ash can sense where things are. It's an unexplainable feeling.

He can tell that Serena is beside him. The Pokémon are firing and dodging attacks. Without fail, he can pinpoint the location of anyone, and anything.

All of a sudden, by instinct, he whips around to face Serena, who, at that same moment, is trapped by a rope. The restraint is wrapped tightly around her arms and body, and she yelps.

ASH: *Shouts* SERENA!

SERENA: A- Ash! Keep fighting, and don't worry about me!

With that, she disappears from sight, and the connection that brings Ash and Serena together is gone.

ASH: I don't know where Serena is anymore. Arceus! Why is all this happening so suddenly!? Argh, Pikachu! Thunderbolt!

But nothing happens. The smoke eventually clears out, leaving Ash, all alone, no one else in view.

ASH: Wh- what? Where is everyone-

And that's when he feels a rope wrapping itself around him, and the one who holds the other end... Miette.

MIETTE: Good. You two are separated. The deal is done and good, Calem. I get Ash, and you get Serena.

ASH: *Thinks* So this is what you meant by checkmate... Calem?