Chapter 13: Determination

Last time, the Hidden Power worked as Serena turned back to her normal state. Ash managed to run with Serena in his arms part way until the Pokémon Hunter J caught up. Serena, standing on her two feet, challenged J, saying brute force does not win every battle.

J: Well, this is certainly surprising. As a fellow Trainer, I know the feeling of overwhelming confidence. But this IS a bit ridiculous. So how long with your determination last?

SERENA: As long as it takes to beat you. What you're doing is wrong! Fennekin, Sylveon, are you ready for this?

FENNEKIN: Fenne, Fennekin! (Darn right I am!)

SYLVEON: Sylveon! (I've been waiting for this!)

DAWN: Do you guys think she'll be alright? I mean, her determination is admirable, but-

ASH: Serena's going to be just fine. She's strong.

Calem clenches his hand into a fist and looks down. He's glaring at the floor, but no one knows why he's acting this way.

CLEMONT: Calem? Something wrong?

CALEM: *Exhales* No, it's nothing. I just don't want Serena to get hurt.

The corner's of Ash's mouth turn down a little, but no one notices.

SERENA: Sylveon, stay back and little bit and use Helping Hand on Fennekin. But don't do anything just yet.

BARRY: WHAT?! This is the perfect opportunity for Serena to attack all out, but she's passing it up?!

MAY: *Staring at the battle* Barry, I'm sure there's a reason behind it.

PAUL: *Closes eyes and smirks* If she attacks first, J's Pokémon will be fully prepared for their assault and either quickly retaliate or dodge. This is the perfect opportunity for Serena to prepare. That's pretty good.

BARRY: *Sweat drops* Yeah, I guess you're right.

J: Salamence, Dragon Pulse on Fennekin! Drapion, use Cross Poison on Sylveon!

CLEMONT: Oh no! Poison-type moves are super effective on Fairy-types, and since Sylveon is one, that won't end well for her.

SERENA: Sylveon, switch places with Fennekin fast! Fennekin, run up Drapion's arm when it swipes and jump over it, then use Flamethrower at its back!

Sylveon and Fennekin quickly switch places. Sylveon gets hit by the Dragon Pulse, and using its small size as an advantage, Fennekin jumps on Drapion's arm and vaults over it. The Fire-type immediately turns around and fires a powered-up Flamethrower. Drapion takes a lot of damage from that attack.

SERENA: Just as I predicted! I know Salamence can use Hyper Beam, but that move is too destructive in such a confined area. It's Flamethrower might hit Drapion going in for the physical attacks. Dragon Pulse was the best option. Additionally, you expect to get rid of the most threatening Pokémon in my team to your Salamence- Sylveon.

BARRY: Woah... I didn't know Serena battled THAT well!

PAUL: I gotta admit, she surprised me.

DAWN: She's using everything she learned about the opposing team, plus her knowledge on the surrounding area and type advantages to predict almost precisely what their moves are going to be!

ASH: Incredible. Serena's incredible!

J: Impressive. I take back my words. This is a TRUE Pokémon battle!