Chapter32

Edited by : LifeIsTheHorse

ELLIE WAS EXHAUSTED BY the extracurricular activities they had that evening. They played several games with the arts section, whose building was situated on the west side. They did this once in awhile, to form a 'bond' as the teacher had said.

She was forced to participate in the games which she sucked at. She sucked at every kind and form of games. Even snakes and ladders! Archer once forced her to play it with him, she sucked at it so bad that she burst out crying. She was such a loser and cried at every loss so that he didn't want to play with her anymore.

Archer was her only playmate back then, as he chased the rest way, and even her only playmates gave up on her. So he'd just guard her as usual while she sat, all by herself, on the swing or the slides. Even on the see-saw. She sat on one side alone with no one to balance her from the other side. It bought her further and further back into old sad memories.

ELLIE TOOK HER KEYS out from her back pocket and opened the door. Just as she was about to close it she heard loud footsteps and saw a woman running towards her house. Her eyes widen at the sight. The woman was clearly in her mid twenties, she had bruises all over her face and a handprints on her arm.

"Please, please. Help" she rasped as she held on to her door and looked around wildly as if expecting some killer to jump out and finish her. "If he finds me.." she choked out as tears kept pouring down her cheeks.

"Come in" Ellie says without a second thought and quickly closed the door behind her. She leads the woman to the couch.

"I'll go get you water" she says because the woman looked wary.

Ellie handed her a glass, she drank quickly and finished it all and handed it back to her.

"Thank you. You're so kind" she says, she still looked around and jumped every time she heard slight noises.

"What's wrong?"

"My name is Aubrey"

"Oh. I'm Ellie"

"It's my ... husband. I need to get out of this town"

"He.." abused her. She avoids asking that. "Why don't you go to the police?"

"I can't. His brother's a cop. He'll return me to him. Do you mind if..I stay here for a few more minutes.."

Ellie knew she meant hours by the hopeful look in her blue eyes. "Not at all. Stay here as long as you like. Do you um..want something to eat?"

Her eyes widen up at Ellie, "If you don't mind" she said hesitatingly. Ellie smile to assure her.

"It'll only take a few moments"

Ellie guessed that the woman was pretty hungry by now so she made her a few sandwiches.

"Here you go" Ellie says before she entered the living room as a warning so she wouldn't make her jump.

She handed her the plate. "Thank you so much. You are very kind." Aubrey said with a soft smile.

"Um. You're welcome" she blushed.

Aubrey ate as if she hadn't for days which Ellie guessed was exactly what it was about.

"Where will you go?" Ellie asked hesitatingly, "I mean, maybe there's something I can do to help you"

"I'm not sure. Anyway, I don't think it's safe for you to know it anyway."

"Um..where do you live?"

"Only two blocks away. You may not know me Ellie. But your mom does. And I used to see you around too"

"Really" she blinked.