Chapter 40

"You'll be at the Burrow won't you?" 

"For what?" I muttered miserably, Percy was sitting beside me in the hospital room along with Ginny who sat trying to knit something. 

"For Christmas," Percy spoke slowly. 

My hands clenched tightly and Ginny jumped to her feet, taking my hands as my heart hammered around. "I'm sorry...I didn't mean to upset you, George. I was just--" 

"You don't know," I shook my head and looked up at him. "Christmas is Kayley's birthday." 

Percy's jaw dropped very slightly as he looked at me, he began to stammer incoherently as he watched me. Ginny let go of my hands and patted my shoulder. Was it really Christmas time already? That would mean....Kayley's been in a coma for....seven months. 

"Seven months?" I looked to Ginny who closed her eyes and nodded, I jumped to my feet and began to pace. "But...they said--" 

"It was an estimation," Ginny interrupted. They had said it'd be another month...but...it's been seven now. 

I took a deep breath, "seven months..." 

I looked at Ginny, she looked worried, not knowing what to do about the situation. I resumed my seat and frowned as I thought about how long I've been waiting for Kayley to open her eyes. 

Why was the world being so cruel to me? 

*Ron's POV*

"Ronald, are you ready?" 

"Another minute, Mione," I snapped. I turned around to see her frowning as she leaned against the doorway, I shoved my hands in my pockets. "Sorry, love." 

Hermione nodded slightly, "I suppose we're all a bit on edge..." 

"You think he's with her?" I asked quietly. 

"He will, and then we'll have to go and rip him away from her," Hermione smiled while holding out her hand for me. "We'll be late if we don't leave now." 

I sighed, picking up my rucksack and tossing it over my shoulder, "I was thinking...maybe a Christmas at the Burrow isn't such a good idea....can't it just be the two of us?" I paused in the small hallway. 

"Ronald, I know it's been hard. But we need to be together, all of us. Think of how your mother will feel if we don't show up, I promise it'll be alright but if you truly want to leave I won't object." This was why I loved Hermione...she knew exactly what to say to make me feel better, the tight feeling in my stomach lessened slightly as I grasped her hand. 

"Let's go then, love," I smiled. 

Looking up at the Burrow with snow all around it, I felt my stomach knot slightly, I paused a few feet from the door. Hermione looked at me patiently, she knew this was hard. It was hard on everyone. 

"Maybe...we should go and check on George," I whispered. 

"Ginny and Harry already are," Hermione smiled. "Besides, he's with Kayley. You know that." 

I took a deep breath as Hermione opened the door, inside was as if nothing had changed. Mum was placing a giant plate of cookies on the kitchen table when we stepped inside, she smiled up at  our entrance.

"You're both here! Well, Ginny and Harry are in the living room, your father will be home shortly, and everyone else will be here in an hour," mum rambled as she hugged me.

"And George?" I questioned.

Mum's smile fell as she stepped away, wringing her hands together nervously as she sighed. I hugged her tightly before taking a cookie and walking into the living room.