Chapter 8

Potions....I just needed to sit through potions before I can snuggle up in my bed, away from everyone. I wish I could remember anything from last night...but I can't...at least the boys said I didn't do anything embarrassing, the only thing they told me was that I ended up dancing with Fred for most of the night.

There's the bell! I grinned as I jumped out of my seat and rushed off to my dormitory. I glanced over my shoulder as I hurried off down the hall.

"Kayley!"

I let out a squeak as I was pulled behind a painting, the twins stood there laughing as Harry and Ron looked cramped as they made room for me.

"Bloody hell is going on?" I whispered.

"We just set off a bunch of fireworks," Fred snickered.

"No way!" I whispered. "Which ones?"

"All of them basically," George said with a sigh. I noticed he seemed distant as he met my gaze, that carefree smile was gone as he looked at me.

"Your entire stock?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Wanted to have a ball," Fred winked.

"we're down to the extremely good ones now." George shrugged.

Something was nagging in my mind, trying to tell me that there was something important I was missing here. I smiled, "so what happens now?"

"Watch the chaos," Fred and George said together.

I looked out the door to see Umbridge running away, I slipped out, followed by the boys. We casually walked down the hall towards our common room, I stopped by one of the windows to see fireworks running around the grounds.

"They're brilliant," I muttered as George stood beside me.

"You would know, you helped come up with them!" George smiled.

"You alright?" I looked at him, his shoulders were slouched and he seemed very off today.

"I'm fine, Kay," he smiled, but it wasn't his usual carefree smile.

"Anything bad happen last night? I honestly don't remember anything," I asked as we began to walk down the hall. It was just the two of us, other students were looking through the windows or chuckling at the different colors that sprayed across the hall. 

"Don't worry, you didn't embarrass yourself," George chuckled.

"You just seem so...distant, is everything alright?" George took my hand and intertwined our fingers tightly, "George...."

"I have to get going, I'll talk to you later," he leaned down and kissed my cheek before rushing off.

I stood confused, trying to slowly stop my heart from hurting; when did I suddenly turn on my emotions? I shook my head, trying to build the walls around my heart back up as I slowly walked to the library for a new book. I was so lost in my thoughts about last night and trying to remember any key events that I didn't hear the person approaching behind me.

"Hello, Kayley." I groaned, why can't I just be left alone?!

I placed my new book down on the nearest table and turned to see Cormac glaring at me, a chill ran down my spine-he knows! He knows about Smith! He knows!

"It's funny really," he chuckled with no humor whatsoever.

"Sorry?"

"It's funny how you can blow me off, but then when Smith appears you don't have a care in the world, and happily parade around Hogsmeade with him," he growled.