Part 1

Everything is rotating.

The world. Wheels on cars and buses and bicycles. Washing machines. Harry's thoughts, and his ceiling fan.

He's following the movement, to the best of his ability anyway. It's dark in his room; curtains shut to block out the last rays of the sun, and lights off so he won't be blinded by staring at the fan blades. They provide enough wind for him to be comfortable in the otherwise stifling heat.

It's summer, and it seems to have put a block on things. As a cartoonist, Harry relies on his creativity, but the heat melted that right out of him. He keeps coming back to the same idea, but it's not what he wants. It's just not right.

The doorbell rings, and his thought process stops. He has three days to finish it, he'll manage.

Once he gets out of his dark room, it takes him a few seconds to get used to the lighting in the rest of his apartment, even when he dimmed them. A quick look at the monitor shows Harry that there's nobody outside the building, which means they're at his door. The only person he gave a key to is his best friend. And he isn't supposed to come back from his trip until the next morning. Harry hesitates, but decides to open the door anyway.

''Surprise!'' Liam yells, opening his arms so Harry can launch himself into a hug.

''Li, what are you doing here?!'' Harry asks, pleasantly surprised. Liam's got a tan, making him appear even more healthy and glowing than he already was.

''Wanted to surprise my favourite person! How is he? And what is he wearing?'' Liam scrunches his nose up as he takes Harry in, a mix of amusement and disgust written across his face.

''They're boxers,'' Harry deadpans. He takes a step back so he can let Liam into his apartment, and rolls his eyes when his friend is still giving him questioning looks. ''I'm sure you're familiar with them.''

''Just a bit revealing, 's all.'' Liam shakes his head and sits down on the sofa facing the TV. It's a fairly small apartment, but Harry doesn't mind. It means he doesn't have to walk so much to get to where he wants. It takes him exactly ten seconds to run from the sofa, grab a drink and open it, and sit back down.

''Don't act like you're not used to it,'' Harry says, pushing Liam's shoulder before he sits down next to him, legs crossed over each other. ''How was LA?''

Liam launches into a tale of long beaches, how he bravely tried new foods, and how this guy at a restaurant stared at him. Apparently it wasn't even the flattering type of stare, just plain creepy. Harry happily lets Liam talk, drinking in his best friend's experiences and wishing there was a way he could escape reality for a while. Preferably with a drink in his hand and the sun warming his skin.

''Sounds like you had a good time,'' Harry comments once Liam finishes. "But I'm happy to have you back home."

Liam nods thoughtfully. "Yes, I did kind of miss New York." Harry nudges him with his foot, causing him to break out into a smile. "And you, of course. How've you been?"

"Same old," Harry sighs, shrugging. "They still didn't fix the coffee machine at the office, and my boss has been an even bigger pain. He doesn't seem to be thrilled by my most recent works." He hasn't been able to churn out anything worthy of praise, but it's not like he'll ever admit that out loud.

"Maybe your boss also needs a break?"

"Possible. I know I do." Harry rubs his eyes tiredly, the heat suddenly wearing him down. It's late; he can see his living room/kitchenette reflected in his windows, his own face staring back at him with a puzzled expression.

"Maybe you should go out more," Liam suggests. "Live a little."

"You know I don't like people, Li."

Liam snorts, shaking his head. ''Actually, you like them too much.''

''Which is precisely why I don't like them,'' Harry argues, letting his head fall back to rest on the sofa. His neck is craned painfully, but he likes looking up at the ceiling. It's just white, and there's nothing to see to get his thoughts going.

''You're making my head hurt,'' Liam moans, sinking deeper into the sofa.

Harry turns his head and looks at him sideways, notices how his cheeks are rounder and features softened out. He gained only a little weight, but it suits him well. ''I'm sorry,'' he sighs, shifting so he can lean his head on Liam's shoulder.

Liam hums, letting his hand rest on Harry's hip, softly rubbing it up and down. ''You think,'' he whispers, tilting his head in Harry's direction, ''you'll go out more, with me? It's not as fun without you.''

''How would you know that, when I never went with you?'' Harry asks, smirking because he knows Liam doesn't like it when he's being a smartass.

''Shut up.'' Predictable. ''Isn't that a rule? Things aren't as fun without your best friend?''

Harry chuckles, sinking deeper into Liam's side. ''No, things are definitely more fun without you. You're too serious.''

''How would you know that, when you never went with me?''

''Did you-'' Harry sits up, placing a hand on his chest in feign hurt. ''You cannot beat me at my own game.''

''I'm a quick learner.''

''No, you just copied me. It doesn't work like that.''

Liam shrugs, raising a hand to his mouth to hide a yawn. "Seriously, though."

"Seriously," Harry echoes, placing his elbow on the back of the couch and resting his chin on his hand. Liam looks up at him with a small frown, just nearly not a pout. Harry sighs, shaking his head. "Fine. I'll see if there's anything we can do."

"Mate, we'll have so much fun."

Harry just hums and sends Liam a sleepy smile. There is something about his best friend that makes Harry want to protect him. Preserve his innocence and good view of the world. It's hard to find things so pure these days, but what's even harder is for them to stay that way.

Liam's a smart lad. Or can be when he wants to. He has some pretty serious gears in that head of his that can do plenty of turning, but he chooses not to. Maybe that is what makes him smart; choosing not to think too much. He lets his heart decide, and from what he's done so far, Harry can say that Liam is a sound person.

Harry would do the same, but he doesn't trust his heart.

That's the first chapter! I'll upload the second chapter right away, but after that it will be every other day (as usual). Hope you like it so far :)