Chapter 12 - Happy Endings

“I can't believe you go in two days”, I said softly as I lay in River's arms on his bed. “I know, wish you could come along”, he replied pulling me closer to him. “If only I a genius and could finish school”, I smiled into a chest. “You're smart enough”, he was suddenly on top of me, looking up at him caused me to smile into his eyes. “Charmer......I need to finish school to get into college”,I said as I ran my hands up and down his hands that were beside me. “College, huh?”, he smirked. “Yup, I need to do something productive with my life”, I smirked back and lent up and placed my lips to his. “Hmm....I'll make sure of that”, he winked at me then pressed his lips to mine again, his body now placed on top of mine, our hands running over each others bodies as our kiss deepens. “Autumn”, he whispers as he pulls away looking flustered. “I'm gonna have to stop before I can't stop myself”. We just stayed there for a few moments, looking into each others eyes as our breathing got back to normal again, “I want to”, I finally whispered, never breaking contact with his eyes. “Autumn”, he whispered again and moved off of me and lay beside me once again. “River”, I say back as I position myself now on top of him, where he places his hands on my thighs. “I know we haven't been together long, but.......I really want to do this......I want my first time to be with you”, I finish by bending down and pressing my lips against his, as his hands travel up underneath my top. I pull back keeping my eyes on his and slowly reach the hem of my top and pull it off and toss it on the floor. A smirk rises up on River's face, as I bend down and press my lips to his, the kiss quickly deepens as I run my hands under his shirt, before I knew it my hands were on his belt and suddenly his hands were on top of mine stopping me. I pull back, “Autumn”, he whispers. “Can you stop saying my name and actually say something”, I snap at him. River moves to sit up, meaning we are now face to face, he takes my face in his hands, “Trust me, I want to do this more than anything.....but we need to wait just a little bit longer”, he whispers. “A bit longer.......River you go away for two months in two days”. “Yeah, and then I'll be back here with you,.......we have all the time in the world Autumn......I just don't want you to feel rushed or regret anything”, he whispered as he ran his hands down my arms and lent forward and pressed his lips to mine. “You don't know how hard it is for me to be saying no to you”, River moaned as the kiss between us once again deepened. “Well I know you won't, but …....that doesn't mean we can't have fun”, I smirk at him, as a smirk appears on his face and he pulls me close to him, “Thank god, you found a loophole”, he softly laughed as he pressed his lips to mine and we lost ourselves for a short while.

January 8th 1988

Today, was the day that River would be leaving to go and shoot “Running On Empty”, I watched him now as he stood with his Mom and Dad. “You're going to miss him, aren't you”, Rain spoke as we stood beside each other. I nod in reply, “Yeah, but it's not for long”, I smile at her as she places her arm around me and pulls me close to her. 10 minutes later, me and River were stood in his room hugging each other close, “Riv.....I've got something I want to give you”, I whispered as I pulled back from his embrace. I go over to where my handbag was sat and pulled out the present I wanted to give him, I walk back over and place the present into his hands, “Autumn, I wasn't expecting anything”, he smiled. “I know”, I smiled back as he began to open up the package. I watched him closely as he got to the present, his big beautiful smile broke out and he looked up to me, “Autumn”, he spoke softly as he stepped closer to me and pulled me in for kiss. The present I had given to River, was the picture of the both of us on New Year's Eve, I wanted him to have something of us both while he was away. “I'll carry this everywhere, trust me”. “I do”, I say with a smile, and with that we kiss again, being careful enough so we don't lose ourselves this time.

Me, Rain, Joaquin, Skye and his Mom, drove River to the airport where he would be flying out with Skye. It was time for him now to check in, I watched as he said his goodbyes to everyone. Before I knew it, it was my turn, we didn't say anything just quickly wrapped our arms around each other, before breaking apart and he softly pressed his lips to mine before whispering, “I love you, Autumn”. “I love you too, River”, and with that quick goodbye, he was gone, and already I couldn't wait until he was back.

“Fancy coming to the Art's Club with me, Jay and Franco when we get back?”, Rain asked me on the way home from the airport. “Yeah, sounds good”, I smile at Rain, I mean I may as well start already trying to keep myself busy, make time go faster that way it might only feel as though River is gone for a week not two months. Half an hour later, I was sat with Rain, Jay and Franco drinking coffee and talking about a camping trip that Jay and Franco want to go on. “We were thinking of getting a few of us to go, it would be fun”, Jay smiled at me and Rain. “Do you like camping, Autumn?”, Franco asked, smiling at me. “I've never been, but I guess it sounds fun.......I'm in”, I smile at Franco before turning to Rain, with a “you better say yes” face on. “I'm in too”, Rain smiles at me. “Good, I'm glad you're both coming”, Franco smiled at me, as I smiled politely back at him.

It was now 9pm, I was lay in my room, reading “The Great Gatsby” by F. Scott. Fitzgerald. My eyes were starting to feel heavy, when the house phone started to ring, I reached over and lifted the receiver. “Hello”, I say with a yawn coming on. “Autumn?”, I knew whose voice it was straight away, I shut the book instantly and threw it down on the bed. “River”, I smiled. “I didn't expect to hear from you tonight”.

River: I just needed to talk to you

Me: I'm happy you've called, how are you? How's everything there?

River: Ahh it's ok, just another city I guess

Me: You don't sound full of joy

River: (softly laughs) it's hard to be, when I think of what I could be doing with you right now, rather than me being sat in a hotel room alone

Me: Alone? Where's Skye?

River: Gone out to get some stuff or something, wasn't really listening

Me: Well since you're alone, it is a shame we're not together

River: I can't wait to see you already

Me: Me too, it won't be that long

River: It won't, I'm gonna try and come back in a couple of weeks, when I get a couple of days off

Me: Don't worry if you can't, you're gonna be tired from working you don't wanna be flying across the country......it won't be good for your nerves

River: (laughs) my nerves? Good thing, that I will man up for you isn't it

Me: I'm a lucky girl (laughs)

River: I love you

Me: Love you too

Our conversation carried on for another half hour, before he had to go and try and get some sleep ready for an early start tomorrow. The thought of not seeing him for a couple of weeks made me feel emotional, I didn't want to cry already so I got back to reading about a tragic love story, hoping my own would have a happy ending.