Chapter One

Hey guys! This is Derek's Side Story from "It's Funny How Love Starts." You don't have to read that first to know what this is about because this is a whole different extra story so enjoy and maybe give me feedback if your willing to ^^ It switches off POV so it'll be Derek's POV later~

Comment, fan, vote, like, love it, hate it<3 MAKE THE WORLD GO ROUND :D

 Hi. My name is Gracie. Just Gracie. I don’t have a last name. Most likely because I don’t have a family. I’ve been living as a nomad, as people might say, constantly moving to different places every once in a while. I don’t remember how long I’ve been moving around but it’s as long as I could remember. I don’t remember having a family although my head sometimes flashes back to a young couple with black hair and bright blue eyes. I guessed them as my parents but there were two other people I couldn’t exactly place.

One was a young boy of ten with bright blue eyes and another young boy around the same age, maybe older but he had dark stormy grey eyes. I had no idea who any of them were but they always lingered in my head with a bright smile on their faces.

Derek told me they were probably people from my past but since I couldn’t remember, we couldn’t exactly find those people. My journey has been a tough one but with Derek, it’s been a lot easier. We always seemed to attract trouble but I guess that happens regularly if you’re a werewolf and your best friend is a vampire.

No matter how much I pester Derek, he never tells me his age or his past but he looks around eighteen while I was still stuck at sixteen. I don’t remember my birthday but Derek helped me choose one. September 19 which was the day he said he found me. When I asked him more about my past and how he found me, he said I looked about seven at that time and I was badly wounded in the woods. He took me in and from then on, he became my big brother. An odd pair, huh?

“Gracie Hainsworth! The answer to question thirteen?” Mr. Jones yelled, snapping me into the present. I adopted the last name from Derek for the purpose of illegal documents that made it the possibility for me to enter high school. Every time we moved to a new town, I begged Derek not to make me go but he told me education was the most important thing. Bullcrap.

“Y equals three over two x plus five,” I said absently mindedly.

“Good,” Mr. Jones said but he didn’t look pleased. I droned on and off in his class but it was only because the class was boring. “Please graph it on the whiteboard,” he then instructed, adding a little amusement to his voice. He just loved torturing me.

I heard a few snickers from people who thought I was a freak and others who just wanted to check me out when I went to the front. I groaned, getting up from my desk and walked down the aisle. This was totally not my style of life.

When school ended, I raced down the hallway to Derek’s locker. I made him apply this time since he lost it in a bet while we went hunting. He applied for his senior year although he didn’t have anything to learn since he had his entire immortal life studying whatever he wanted.

Sometimes I asked why he still stuck around with a lone werewolf when he could be living somewhere permanent and live a life at ease but he chuckled and said living with me was a life at ease which was a very good oxymoron.

“Derek, can we please go home?” I asked. “I think Mr. Jones wants to give me detention but I ran out of there just before he could get a hold of me.” I rambled on so fast that I didn’t notice he had three girls surrounded by his locker.

They were asking him if he wanted to go catch a movie that night but he didn’t seem to take much notice. That’s what happens when you’re way over six feet with baby blue eyes and dirty blonde hair that swept just over his eyes, and a good British accent. We didn’t look anything alike except the eyes but Derek could be very persuasive with his compulsion when people questioned our sibling relationship.

“Yes we can, Gracie. Bye, ladies,” he nodded politely and closed his locker.

“Derek, come to the movies at five?” one of the blonde girl asked.

“I-“

“He can come. All he ever does is stay at home so I’m sure he can sacrifice his ‘oh so fun life’ for one night,” I interrupted before he could say anything. Seriously, he needed to get out more often.

“Yay, then we’ll see you then,” they all said leaving in a fit of giggles and whispers.

“Gracie, why’d you do that?” Derek sighed, slinging his backpack over his shoulder. “I have to take care of you.”

“Derek, I never seen you go out or mingle with people. I might’ve needed you as a babysitter when I was seven but I’m sixteen now and you’ll only be gone for couple hours considering they’ll want to hang out afterwards. I’m not going to die during that time period,” I reasoned.

“I…I’m just worried, that’s all,” he sighed. “But thank you.” He slung his free arm around my shoulder and exited the school.

“Well, I’m going to the public library for this research paper so I’ll see you at home when you come back from the movies,” I said.

“Stay safe, Gracie,” he said, struggling whether he should let go of me or not.

“Yes, mom,” I laughed and waved before I left for the library.

I found a fairly secluded spot where only a handful of people were quietly working in the library. I found an interesting book that related to my research topic and opened it to a random place.

As usual, I fell asleep and woke up to the library announcing that they were closing. I groaned and checked the clock. Nine o’clock. I slept for a good six hours in the library. Was that even possible?

I quickly shoved everything back into my backpack and got up to leave the deserted library. Suddenly, I heard a book drop from one of the shelves behind me. I turned around but there was nothing there. Huh, I thought but I shrugged it off and exited the library quickly.

The sky was dark that night since it was late fall and winter was beginning to stroll in. it wasn’t that chilly but I still tug on my jacket as I made the short walk home. I had four blocks to conquer but decided to go through a short cut across a dark ally.

Walking through the dark ally, I suddenly felt a hand shoving my backpack, causing me to lose my balance and fall. I tried to look at my attacker but it was too dark. The hands grabbed for me again, this time taking off my backpack and banging me against the wall.

I tried screaming but a wet pair of lips slammed into my startled ones and his hands started to roam my body. I tried to fight him off me and tried to use my werewolf strength but even that was no match for the man. My head screamed and pleaded but I started to feel faint. Was this the end of me? My exciting, boring life ending in a rape?

I just hoped that Derek didn’t believe me when I said I wouldn’t die during the period he was gone. My first big mistake.