o n e

pranks and pigeon poo

_____

A warm summer air settles around John Quincy Adams High School as the scorching sun hangs in the sky, blazing, trying to char every human to walk this planet. It's the hottest day of the year, and it happens to be April Fools' Day today.

When I came to school in the morning, all I had were curious eyes trained on me, eager to see what Maya Hart would do this year for April Fools'. Last year, I glued all the teachers' belongings onto their tables. The year before, I set a llama free in the school. How I was able to do all of that? Well, it's a trade secret. It would be hard to beat those two pranks, but I've got something in mind.

But first, I have somebody who I absolutely need to prank first.

Unfortunately, I don't have any classes with him until third period, but after that it's recess so it doesn't matter. I walk into class, and spot my target talking to my best friend. Hurriedly, I scoot over, eager to listen in on their conversation.

"Oh Lucas, today sure is a really hot day, huh?" Riley brings a hand up to fan herself.

"Yeah, it's only the start of April, the weather is unbelievable," Huckleberry wipes a sheen of sweat off his forehead.

"Can school just be over already?" Riley sighs. "I just want to go grab an ice cream with Maya or something after school."

At the mention of my name, Huckleberry becomes a little restless, fidgeting in his seat. What's up with that?

"I just wanna go home to take a nice icy cold shower," Sundance answers her. A nice icy cold shower? Oh, Huckleberry, you needn't go home to get one of those.

"Go back to your seats, lovebirds, Matthews is coming," I interrupt their conversation, grinning as a plan forms in my mind.

"Oh! Maya, when did you get h-"

"Sit down, class." Mr Matthews walks in, setting his briefcase on the table, and collapses on his chair. "Do you guys really enjoy pranking your poor teachers?"

As much as I would like to prank Matthews today, I already have my eye on the principal. But that's for later. My first prank would be on the one and only Huckleberry.

Anyways, Mr Matthews lessons have become more boring now that we're in high school. Apparently, since we've already learnt the secret in life in middle school, high school history lessons are actually for learning history.

"Stop yawning, Maya," Mr Matthews narrows his eyes at me.

"You call it yawning, I call it stretching my mouth muscles." I explain and the class snickers. I haven't been able to absorb anything from his history lesson for the past hour. Now if only the bell would just- RIIIIIIIIIIIIING. Yes! I bolt out of the class to the nearest water fountain, and switch on the cold tap, thrusting my water bottle below it, a tiny smile playing on my lips. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Unsurprisingly, everybody's already sat down in the cafeteria. I spot the usual table and briskly walk over, motioning for Riley to scoot over.

"I want to sit beside Lucas! You can sit on my left," she whispers in a rush.

"Riles, do you mind if I sat beside him? Just this once?" I wink at her.

She looks at me knowingly and smirks. "Okay, Peaches!"

"Thanks, pumpkin!"

At that moment, Huckleberry comes back with a tray of food. I don't think he's seen the water bottle yet, or at least I hope he hasn't.

"Move over, Maya," he sets the tray on the table.

I move over to the left a little, so there's a space for him to sit, flashing him a sickly sweet grin.

"You okay, Maya?"

"Yeah," I grin, "but it's so hot, right? I so want an icy cold bath right now! How about you?"

"Yeah." Lucas's eyes narrow at me suspiciously. Why in the world would he suspect me of doing anything devious?

I've already discreetly unscrewed the cap of my water bottle as Ranger Rick was trying to see through me. I flash another smile at him and splash! I dump the entire bottle of cold water onto his head. He jumps, shocked by both what I've done and how cold the water was, and yelps a little.

The entire cafeteria's eyes are on us, their mouths agape in surprise but admiration. I cackle at Lucas, his hair dripping with water, his shirt soaked until transparency, his perfectly toned abs showing a lit- No, wait Maya, you cannot be thinking about his abs right now, you should be thinking of how ridiculous Lucas Friar looks at the moment. As I look him up and down, I can't help but laugh again, his face hasn't yet recovered from the shock.

"Aw, I thought Wucas Fwiar wanted an icy cold shower!" I speak as if talking to a baby, and pat his soaking wet hair.

"Maya!" Riley looks as if she's about to burst into laughter.

As much as I would like to stay here and laugh at Huckleberry a while more, I have to do something bigger, something more extravagant, something that Maya Hart will be remembered for.

The end-of-school just rang. It's time. I sneak into the principal's office, my hand filled with bread crumbs, fresh and crusty, just the way the pigeons of New York like it. I sprinkle the bread crumbs everywhere, on his desk, around the cabinets, everywhere. And I fling open the windows. My plan is set. But as I walk through the door, outside, to freedom, I felt a peck on my head. A little terrified, I turn around to see a whole flock of pigeons staring at me. Oh crap. Slowly, I back out of the door, careful not to upset them.

"Cacaw! Cacaw!" shrieks a very stupid Lucas Friar from outside.

I freeze. But they don't. Suddenly it's frenzy in the principal's office, the birds thrashing every thing. Well, yes of course I wanted birds in the office, but not like this. Careful not to get caught, I scramble out of there. I lean my head against the wall, breathing heavily, but realizing my head's a little moist.

"Hey, Clutterbucket, it seems like you've got a little something on your head." Huckleberry stands in front of me, looking smug. Oh God, it has be bird poo. I grimace and glare at him.

"You're going to have to up your game to beat me, Cowboy."

"So sprinkling bread crumbs into your hair when you weren't looking isn't game enough? Never mind, I have many more surprises to come."

I cackle grimly.

He smiles.

"Lucas Friar, I hope you know what this means."

I stare into his green eyes and smirk. Of course he know what this means. This means war.

"Game on, Shortstack."

_____

a/n:

hey guys! congratulations on reading until the authors note without falling asleep! and thanks for choosing this lame story to read!