Chapter Eighteen

My head was resting on his bare chest as he ran his finger tips up and down my spine.

"As much as I've loved this past month and spending every second with you, I have to return to club business."

"I knew this was coming." I sighed and flexed my hand over his firm chest.

"Ainsley..." His voice was barely a whisper.

"It's okay Braxton. I just worry about you." I lifted my head up and rested my chin on my hand. My hair fell around my face. He reached his hand up and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"I love you." He smiled. "You're the most beautiful person I've ever met. I love that your heart and soul are even more beautiful than your stunning face."

"You sure know how to make a girl blush." I grinned at him. "And I love you too." I couldn't help but feel like I was the luckiest girl in the entire world. This man was amazing, and he was mine. All mine. But he was also dangerous. My stomach twisted at the thought of everything that has happened since I met him. The bullet wound, Sam being stabbed, me being kidnapped and so much more. So much has happened in such a short time. Is this how it will always be?

"What's wrong?" He traced his thumb over the crease in my brows.

"It's nothing. Just thinking." I shrugged and forced a smile.

"You're not very good at lying." He smirked at me. The same smirk that made me fall in love with him.

The next couple of weeks I started seeing him less and less, and he was with the club more and more. I hoped it would get easier, but it didn't. I killed time with training lessons with Hendrix, shopped with Cassie, and cooked with Nina. None of it worked. He still consumed every thought and every worry.

"I hate that stupid little bitch." Nina downed the rest of her beer.

"You and me both." I rolled my eyes. Nina and I were sitting at my bar counter eating dinner and talking about the boys.

"I never liked her. She tried to pretend like she was innocent, but I saw right through that bullshit." She took a bite of her mashed potatoes. "She had Braxton brainwashed. She had him convinced that she couldn't be with him because of the dangers, but that was a damn lie. She left because she didn't think he would ever be able to afford to give her all the material things she wanted." Nina laughed. "Two years after that bitch skipped town we spent the last of the clubs money to buy The Clubhouse and it boomed. I don't want to get into all the other sources of income, but the club went from broke to wealthy in a matter of a year and a half. It's funny that she makes her reappearance a year and a half after the club started doing well."

"He actually loved her though." I sighed. My stomach twisted at the thought.

"He sure did." Nina shook her head. "But I never saw him look at her the way he looks at you baby. He might have thought he loved her back then, but there's no denying that you're the only girl he's ever actually loved. He stepped away from all club business for a month to help you recover."

"I know." I sighed.

"What's really bothering you?"

"I just a worry, I worry that the for the rest of my life I'm going to worry. These past five months have been insane. So much has happened."

"It has been insane." She shook her head. "I want to tell you that it's not usually like this, and for the most part, it's not. This club is dangerous. The things they do, the people they deal with. It's all dangerous. But when you love the man, you learn to love the club."

"I'm afraid that this will become so normal that I'll forget who I was before this."

"Ask yourself this. Are you sure the girl you used to be, is the same girl that you're supposed to be?"