Chapter 10

Chapter 10

My blaring alarm clock woke me with a slight jolt, causing me to immediately spring from my bed. I sauntered across my room, lazily bumping into objects that we placed accordingly. The fact that it was still night outside could only mean one thing.

It was Monday. As in, time for school.

I sighed and dropped my head. Yesterday, Sunday, had gone by far too easily, slipping out of my fingers like water. The day before that where I had seen Vance at the bookshop combined for a slightly more eventful weekend.

I fumbled my way into the shower. Once I was out, I dried my hair until it laid flat against my shoulders. My mind was in shambles; I had no idea how I was supposed to react against seeing Spencer and Celia together.

A horrible, sickening image of them glued together sent me into a fervent rush as I tried to banish the untimely thought from my mind. I pictured Spencer standing there, a slow smile creeping up on him while he watched Celia come forth.

Well, Celia would just need to know that I wouldn't go down.

As they say on Tumblr, I will go down with this ship.

*

I pulled into the parking lot, my car wheezing. My eyes inspected the parking lot until I found them. Spot number 1: Spencer holds the door open for Celia, who he just so happened to have driven to school.

"Congratulations to the happy couple," I murmured to my only companion, the wind.

I pull my backpack on, glad that today I wore my infamous riding boots. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you my half inch heel. I know, I know, crazy. Someone, detain me.

But the boots still managed to give me some sort of confidence that I would have previously missed.

I'm suddenly thankful for the overly large trucks that everyone seems to think they need. This way, I can slip through the parking lot and not be noticed by a single soul.

When I opened the door, a collage of people, tall, short, wide, skinny passed by me. I'm invisible. They all chatted with each other, filling the whole world in about their personal escapades.

Spot Number 2: Celia touches Spencer's arm affectionately as they walked. I can't help but notice that her voice is abnormally loud and her laugh is equally so.

I filtered into the crowd, not missing a beat. My nerd herd table in the cafeteria had a new member: Spencer. However, before the conversation could be tainted by my own personal distinguished awkward, I grabbed a book out of my bag and make my way to the library. I knew that is veered from my previous thought process, one that contained a girl who was willing to face anything, but now, seeing them, all I wanted was seclusion. I would need to approach this a different way.

Once I was alone, it was easy to think again as if no one was watching (which they aren't).

A single thought flitted through my mind: How did they even happen? Where was I for this?

Oh, right. I was with Vance.

I made my way through the shelves, careful to inspect the literature. Around the corner, a teenager sat, Dubstep music floating from his earbuds. I nudged him slightly, only to see him roll over. He was asleep.

I shrugged my shoulders and continued on. I didn't know what I was expecting to find here- a person, a word, a sudden revelation that had been waiting for me all along behind a gauzy curtain?

Instead, I grabbed the nearest book, trying to seem like I had something that was occupying me. It was called Love Left Unrequited. By Anonymous, naturally. I rolled my eyes and stuck it back.