38

I was lying on dirt with my back facing up. I felt the air very thick and moist, like as if it was humid. I was not used to this type of atmosphere, so I did not like it. I wrinkled my nose and slowly slid up to my knees to figure out where I was.

I found myself in the middle of a room entirely made out of dirt, like as if someone dug up the ground, went inside, and made a ceiling of dirt to stay in place. There were lights installed in the ceiling, casting brightness into the area and making shadows very visible. I looked in front of me and saw what seemed like a metallic box with blue-painted edges and a keyhole on its side.

This place seemed very familiar, like as if I've been here before, but I just don't know when. I made a confused look, staring straight at the machine.

Suddenly, a mist of black smoke appeared in front of me, diverting my attention, and The Enemy sauntered out of it; he had an evil smirk on his face.

"Well, well, well, it's about time we all encountered each other," he told someone who was behind me.

I snapped my head over to my shoulder to see who he was talking to.

Behind me was Andrea, Bree, Cade, and Poncho--all of HEROES. Oh my goodness, this is like a...what's that word? I went through this before! I thought to myself. But when? I saw that they were scared; I wasn't scared like them, I was more confused.

"You don't know how long I've been waiting for this moment," The Enemy continued on, rubbing his hands together. "I got you guys, HEROES--" He extended his hand toward us. "--and the one and only..." He reverted his hand toward the metallic object. "...Machine of the World."

So that's the Machine of the World, I thought to myself. That's what we were trying to avoid The Enemy from getting... We failed. Suddenly, an idea floated into my mind: But it can't be destroyed and it can't be opened. It's far too dangerous if it's either destroyed or opened.

"Thanks to Brent, or as you guys know him as Poncho, for helping me claim this wonderful piece of supernatural ability--" He extended his hand beyond me; I followed it, seeing that he was pointing to Poncho, who had a guilty look on his face.

He is evil, I thought to myself. Of course, it shouldn't be a surprise.

"--I couldn't have done it without you," he told him.

Poncho just dipped his head down with his hands clasped on top of his lap.

"But don't worry guys," he continued on talking to us, "the school isn't destroyed...just the football field, which is what we're under right now." We all looked up at the brown, dusty ceiling. "So, there won't be any football for a while here at your school." We all looked back at him.

This has got to stop, I thought to myself as I stared at The Enemy with seriousness as he continued speaking. No one is doing anything. If that's the case, then I'll make the first move. I began rising to my feet and saying, "Give that machine to us...and everything will be fine."

The Enemy landed his eyes on me with raised eyebrows. "And you think I'm gonna fall for that, Sasha?" He turned to look at the rest of us. "The machine is already in my possession." He reached into his black cloak, pulling out an old-fashion, golden key. "And I'm going to use it to its fullest." He then faced the machine and began extending the key toward it, intending to unlock it.

"NO!" I automatically threw my hand in front of myself and emitted a long shard of glass; the glass hit his hand that occupied the key, causing the key to drop onto the dirt ground.

The Enemy snapped his eyes up at me with an irritated look.

"You are not going to open it!" I thundered with my hands as fists; I then dropped the tone of my voice. "Not here, not now, not ever..."