3

Three days later...

I sauntered into my chemistry classroom with that same attitude I came in with on Monday: I get to see Alek again! Yay!

I strolled over to my empty black table I share with my Russian partner, looking down at Alek's stuff that was sprawled all over his area of the table: orange notebook, black iPad, a gun...--

My eyes widened as I stared down at the weapon that was laying in pure daylight like as if it was just another school material. I kept my eyes glued on it as I rounded the edge of the table to go to my chair. It wasn't your typical everyday gun--this gun seemed like it came out from a science fictional movie: it was massive, spreading over his area and half of my area of the tabletop; it was dark gray with light blue designs on it.

I sat down on my chair and dropped my backpack down in shock. I then gazed around my classroom, wondering if anyone noticed this item on our table. But everyone was doing their own thing: either talking to each other or to the teacher, turning in homework, or messing around on their iPad. I looked up, watching as a classmate passed by my desk, placing her hand on top of the table, inches away from the gun. She looked down at the table, then back up and continued walking over to the homework bin like as if there was no gun on the table.

I continued staring at the gun. How can anyone not see this gun? my mind shouted. It's right there! Broad daylight, everyone! But why would Alek have a gun...is he actually a Russian spy?

I then heard the chair on my left scrap against the tile floor as its user pulled it out. My eyes automatically darted to Alek, who was sitting back down at his spot. Our eyes met, making my heart beat rise abnormally and making me sweat.

I tried to say something, but I couldn't get any words out from my mouth...especially when he was giving me a menacing stare.
Uh oh, I think I wasn't suppose to see the gun...! I thought to myself.

Well, if he didn't want you to see the gun, then he would've hid it!

So he wanted me to see the gun?

Not by that look, no!

I'm so confused--whatever!

Alek frowned at me with narrowed eyes and furrowed eyebrows, until he snapped his head away from my direction.

I then began sinking down towards my backpack, looking over my shoulder as I saw Alek's moves.

He snatched his gun off from the table and leaned away from me as he stuffed it down his backpack. I doubt it was going to fit, but who cares if there's a gun sticking out from his backpack? It seemed like no one noticed it at all!

Mr. Jekyll then called for our attention and class began like as if there wasn't a weapon in the classroom.

And Alek and I didn't say a word for that whole period, which broke my heart.

«««««»»»»»

During break, I was walking to my French classroom with a sandwich in my hand. I breezed past the courtyard scattered with students and over to the trailer area, walking on the sidewalk so that I wouldn't have to step on the pebbles that surrounded that area. I then took a bite from my snack and gazed up, noticing Andrea walking towards my direction, coming from the trailers. I waved 'hi' to her and she waved 'hi' back to me with a grin.

I then noticed wrapped around her waist was a very noticeable hostler. It was black with many slots and pockets to hold items in; in the middle front of it was a small buckle that was a purple circle with smaller black circle in the middle of it; it had a science fictional look to it. Okay, now what is she doing with a hostler like that? First Alek has a gun, now Andrea has a hostler--who's next?

Life gave me the answer.

I gazed to my left at the lunch tables and noticed Cade kneeling on one of the benches, talking to a friend. Slung over his shoulder was his backpack, but it wasn't stuffed with school materials, it had black missiles with green designs poking out from the top of it.

Oh my goodness, the school's gonna get bombed and we will all die, was the first thing my mind said.

No, we would have no more school.

I like that better.

I took in a deep breath and continued walking to my French class, just thinking about those science fictional items that no one seemed to have noticed except for me.

«««««»»»»»

After school, I was up in the mezzanine, which was surprisingly empty for a Thursday afternoon. I was the only person there, so I was starting to rethink whether I was allowed in the area or not--the offices were even dark! I just shrugged it off and continued typing away on my iPad, telling myself that someone else would come because I am allowed in here in general and I didn't get an email from the school regarding about not entering the area.

It was oddly quiet without all the chattering, but it was nice to hear some peace for once after a long day of nonstop noises.

I leaned back against the reclining chair and sighed, gazing at my work that was shown on the screen. I tapped my thumb on the edge of the keyboard and continued typing up my work.

Suddenly, I heard a muffled whirring sound coming from behind me. I froze in the middle of my typing, thinking to evacuate the area. They are gonna bomb the school! was the first thing that came into my mind.

You sure?

Uh, what else is that noise?

I dunno...why don't you go find out yourself.

I sat up straight as the sound died down. I gazed around my surroundings, noticing that I was still the only one around; I closed my iPad down. Then with a deep breath, I got up and walked slowly towards the back of the mezzanine just as the sound came back on again: WHHHHRRRRRRR!

I followed the sound until I ended up in the passageway between the offices and the wall of the mezzanine. The noise grew in sound, so I knew that I was close. I looked to my left, noticing that a door was there. I've always known that there was a door there, but I never knew where it led to. I gazed behind me, seeing if anyone was watching me. Nope--all clear.

I stared down at the dark, golden knob. Then without thinking of it, I clutched onto the knob and twisted it, pushing the door open with my weight just as the sound stopped.

My eyes widen as I saw pure darkness on the other side of the door. The silence was so thick in the room I was able to hear my own breathing and heart pounding. Should I go in?

If you know how to get out.

I turned my head to my left, looking across the room, where my backpack was perched on the reclining chair and my iPad was on the white table, waiting to be opened back up. I'll know how to get out, I thought to myself confidently.

Then with a heavy breath in, I stuck my foot out into the darkness. I brought it down, feeling the sole of my tennis shoe making contact with a smooth, yet hard platform; I looked down and noticed that the platform began glowing bright magenta around my shoe, giving simple light to what I found out was a hallway. I brought my other foot onto the platform and the same outline appeared around it.

I have glowing pink footprints! My mind shouted with glee. Okay, awkward to think of, but this is awesome!

I took another step, then another, then another, and another, and another, and another, until I began walking at my normal pace, since I trusted that the platform would do no harm to me. I kept on walking in the darkness as the platform lit up with my glowing pink footprints, determined to know where it would take me.