Chapter Five

A few days later, Mark found himself getting another text from someone he hadn't talked to in some time (it's not a mystery who it was--we all know). It was around two o'clock in the morning, October 26th, when he'd received it. Fortunately--or not, however you look at it--Mark had been awake at the time, laying in bed, flat on his back and staring at his ceiling. His phone had been plugged in, sitting next to his head, when it had gone off.

He startled when he felt a quick buzz next to his head, leaning his head towards it. He noticed the dimmed light coming from under his pillow, to which he frowned and rolled onto his side. Digging his phone from under his pillow (he knew he shouldn't keep it there, but he was a badass/rebel/idiot), he clicked the power button, his eyes immediately clenching shut at the bright light. He swiped up, turning down his brightness, and gazed back at the name of the sender.

1:58 A.M. Jack- iMessage

His brows furrowed slightly, and he hesitantly opened his phone, staring at the message as it popped up on his screen.

Hey, Mark. Just finished with all that shit and figured I could text you just to apologize again. Even if you're not awake, I still hope you see this when you wake up. I'm stuck awake now cos I've had things on my mind, even though I should be exhausted with all that's gone on recently. I really am sorry, Mark. I can promise you that it will never happen again. I hope that you can forgive me.

Mark scowled, immediately typing out a message to send back. He figured that he wouldn't want his friend to wait, and that if he could text him back, then he would.

It's okay, Seán. I completely understand the situation, and, honestly, if I were in your place, I'd probably do the same. You can't control what you do in that moment, and I understand. You're forgiven. :)

He'd added the smiley face last second, figuring it would lighten things up a bit. And it seemed to do so, as Seán was no longer apologizing in his next message, and had even added a smiley face himself.

J- Thank you so much. :) Did I wake you?

M- No, you didn't. I've been up since about nine this morning and haven't gotten sleep since then.

J- Mark! You need sleep, you silly. I should let you go to bed. :P

M- No, don't leave. It's perfectly okay. I haven't talked to you in a few days, I want to know what's up.

J- Oh, you know, the usual. My heat came around, I basically sexted my friend. Everyday stuff.

Mark chuckled, amazed at how the other could be talking about this so easily. He didn't care of course--it was just that he thought his friend would.

M- Oh? And who is this friend of yours? I might have to get in touch with him..

J- God xD You're hilarious early in the morning, aren't you?

M- Sure am. I'm also a few other things early in the morning. *wink wonk*

The man was rather proud of that last message, and he couldn't wait to see Seán's reaction to it. However, a few minutes went by until the younger man responded, and it didn't even have anything to do with Mark's message from before.

Hey, do you mind if I call you? I just need someone to talk to and you're the only person awake right now. Sorry if I'm bugging you.

His eyes widened, and he went to typing another message.

Of course you can. You can call me at any time. And don't worry, you're not bugging me. Stop apologizing, you silly.

When he didn't get a response back, Mark figured his friend was about to call him, and sighed in relief when he saw he was right. However, instead of just calling over the phone--like he'd expected Seán to do--the other had decided to call him over FaceTime, to which the man startled.