Boy/Friend? (Chap. 23)

Start from the beginning

“Well that makes two of us then,” I tell him.

“I’m sorry Angie. I never meant to hurt you,” he says to me looking straight at me.

“We both know what you wanted to do with me Spencer,” I tell him trying to shake the thought.

“Yeah well I know that was wrong now. I’m seeing help while in here,” he says smiling. Not the creepy smile but an honest one.

“How long are you in here for?” I ask looking at him.

“Eighteen months. I’m going to do a lot community service when I’m out and see this weekly group. They said I needed to put in some months for almost killing you but why didn’t you press charges for almost well you know?” he asks. I thought he would ask. Truth is I should have but I didn’t. He and I both know he wanted to rape me but I didn’t tell them that.

“I know you’re hurt because of the whole Dylan thing and your dad leaving you guys,” I tell him the truth.

“Well thanks. I shouldn’t hate Dylan. It’s not his fault. But yeah thanks,” he says smiling again.

“Just be back to the sweet caring Spencer I first met when you get out,” I say smiling.

“I wish I could take everything back. Maybe you and I could still be together. But I doubt it since you and Daniel,” he says scratching his head.

“Yeah. I’m sorry I didn’t love you the way you wanted me to.”

“It’s okay. So umm can I ask you something?” he asks nervously.

“Sure. What’s up?”

“How’s Johnny?” This question caught me off guard. I didn’t think he even knew about him.

“He’s good. I’m assuming you know he’s your…” I begin saying but he cuts me off.

“My son? Yeah, I know.”

“Who told you?” I ask wondering who could have told him.

“Pamela. She came here a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t believe her when she told me few months ago but she came and told me she wasn’t lying,” he says not looking at me this time.

“She left him with Daniel and just left him a note,” I say looking around the room to other visitors talking.

“She told me that too,” he says making me look at him this time. “She says it was too much for her and that she doesn’t even trust me with him especially now.”

“What did you tell her?”

“I want to see him. Being in here makes me want to be a better person. I talked to my mom a few days ago about him and she’s going to try to see if she can get custody of him while I’m in here,” he says.

“You want him?” I hear myself say. This honestly surprises me.

He laughs a little. “Yeah you’re probably like ‘what the fuck?’ But yeah. I want to show Pamela I can raise him and take care of him. My mom said she’d help.”

I reach for his hand. “That’s sweet of you Spencer,” I tell him. He smiles and nods.

“Yeah thanks. Now let’s hope my mom will be able to. I find out tomorrow.”

“Well good luck. I have to go Spencer,” I say looking at the clock on the wall.

Spencer and I both get up and he gives me a hug. I hug him back and then step back.

“Take care Spencer, and well be good,” I tell him starting to walk to the exit where a security guard is.

“You too Angie. Thanks for coming by,” he says waving.