He shook his head and rubbed his hands over his face, letting out a deep sigh.

It was the worst silence they'd endured so far. They were so close, their knees were touching but they weren't speaking. Eden's massive green eyes stared at him, she was waiting for his brooding to subside, waiting for him to see that she wasn't crying, that she wasn't sickened with his touches. That she was simply confused. She had no idea what she wanted from him. She didn't think she wanted sex, she told herself she wasn't ever going to be ready to do it, but her body told her something else. The way he could make her feel was unexpected and she had no idea how to react to it.

"I bought you something for tomorrow night," Parker said finally. He stood, his hand automatically extended to help her to her feet. She took it gratefully.

She followed him out of the basement and into the house, Bear bombarded them, barking happily at their knees. Eden petted the fluffy beast as it trotted beside them. Parker took a cardboard box from the kitchen island and opened it, two black leather cases were removed. He placed one on the counter and one in her hand. She unbuttoned the case and delicately extracted the large knife.

"You did better with the small knives than the machete in training, and since you gave Lily the pocket knife I though you could... yeah. They can attach to belts and... other things."

She smiled and examined the knife. "You're trying to get me in a suit, aren't you?"

His grin was feeble. "Yeah, I am."

She held it loosely. "I like the weight." She placed it back in the case then handed it to Parker.

He shook his head, shoving the case back at her. "No. They're yours."

"Oh. Thank you. Could you clip them on for me?" She turned around and his eyes widened.

"Are you sure you want them behind you, the hip would work too." She glanced over her shoulder, an eyebrow inclined. "Yeah, okay. Jeans or leather would be better than yoga pants, for future reference... Bring your hand behind your back so I know where to place the first one, yeah good." He clipped the first one, unbuttoned the restraint, and had her grab it. "Good spot?" She nodded, and he moved to the next case. "Is this one good?" She gripped the knife and yanked it free. She turned to him, her smile engulfing her whole face. He could have pulled her to him and kissed her until she was lightheaded, but he didn't. He appreciated her beauty, rather than disturb it.

She didn't know why this made her happy, why feeling the cold metal against her hand was so empowering, but it was. She felt safe and in control. "So who're we going to take down tomorrow night? The date rape guy?"

Parker nodded and showed her a picture of their next target. Eden grimaced at the man on the screen, he was handsome. He looked like the type of guy who could get a girl to go home with a simple show of a smile. He looked like he could be a decent human being. But decent human beings didn't put roofies in women's drinks and then rape them.

Parker's phone buzzed in her hand and he snatched it back with a scowl before she could catch a glimpse of the message. "Change of plans," he said darkly.

"What?"

He showed her the screen. It was an Amber Alert for a fourteen year old girl. Eden's mind immediately went to Lily.

"We got to go." He pushed past her and headed back down to the basement.

She turned, eyebrows raised. "What? Now?"

"Yes now."

"Do you know who kidnapped her?" Eden asked as she raced down the stairs beside him.