Chapter 23 - A Wish with a Bow

Brett looks... terrible. That is the best way to describe how he looks. His face is red and his eyes are swollen. There is no doubt that he has been crying.

I look around me and feel hesitant about what to do. He is here, but I have so many feelings running through me.

"Why are you here Brett?" I say softly.

"I... we need to talk... please," he says between sniffles.

I feel Dan's hand on my shoulder, giving me a reassuring squeeze.

"Whatever you need to say, you can say in front of my family," I say. I don't know where the courage is coming.

"Oh... okay... yeah," he says and takes a deep breath. "Good evening. I'm Brett... Palms. I'm 29 years old and Callie and I work together,"

"You mean to say worked. She doesn't have a job anymore," Evy says.

"Evelyn!" Dad scolds her and nods to Brett to continue talking.

"I made a very big mistake. I didn't tell the whole truth to Callie. I was appointed as the VP of Operations in the Southeast area in the beginning of November. I was very excited because I'm the youngest person in the family to have ever been appointed to such a high position. My father is the owner of a chain of malls around the country, and my family has done the same for many generations,"

Okay, that clears one thing.

"All family members need to work at the mall, preferably during their college years, but I never did it. It is a condition for any position within the company. On such short notice, the only place available for me was in the maintenance crew. So right now I'm cleaning toilets, scraping gum off the floor, changing light bulbs, emptying trash cans. That is how Callie and I know each other,"

And that clears another.

"I'm so sorry that Tina did that spectacle and hurt your feelings with her words. I have been going a lot to her office since the beginning, begging her to get me out of the trouble of working at the mall. She liked the power that she had over me and humiliating me. She truly enjoyed whenever I had to go to her office to clean the trash or to mop. She made some advances, but I was not and still I'm not interested in her. When you showed me the notes, I knew immediately that they were from her. She is the only person in the office that has blue notes on her desk. I called the Human Resources department at the headquarters and explained the harassment that she did to you. She got fired immediately,"

"Okay, we have heard enough. People, let's leave Callie and Brett alone," my mom says and I feel grateful for her understanding.

The people leave to the kitchen. I can hear the noise of cups and glasses, and I'm left alone with Brett.

"You referred me to a college for a scholarship," I say.

"I did that after I got home after being sick. You deserve it Callie. I know you will be great at it. I know that I screwed things, but I'm glad that at least I did one thing right,"

"Thanks,"

"I have been hurt in the past. My ex enjoyed all the perks that wealth can bring. Then left me for who I thought was my best friend. I have dated, but it is always the same story. They are more interested in who I know and what I own than in me. If I suggested to grab a pizza and eat at home, they looked at me like if I was an alien. Then you came around and sharing a container of Chinese food, surrounded by friends, was the best evening I have ever had in a while,"

"And you punched Kevin..."

"He deserved it for making advances on you. Callie, you have given me so many simple first moments. Never in my life I had watched a Christmas pop concert on TV, or a nativity play. I haven't even been in a church before,"

"Not even for a wedding?" I say, feeling curious.

"I don't have close friends. I don't get invited to weddings. When Dad and my stepmother married, they did it at a club,"

"You gave me some firsts as well. You are the first guy to tell me that I'm pretty. You are the first with which I have watched my favorite movie. You are the first guy that has not put pressure to sleep with me,"

"Callie, you are a beautiful woman and I'm sure that lovemaking with you would be fantastic, but I like you more than just for that,"

I look straight into his red eyes and see that he is telling the truth.

"I went yesterday to my father's place. He was surprised to see me there. Even my stepmother was kind to me. I wasn't in the best shape when I arrived. I had a one on one chat with him and opened my heart to him. He apologized for neglecting me," Brett says and cleans a tear that rolls down his cheek. "I also told him that I'm in love with the girl that works at the wrapping counter, and that I really screwed things up with her. He told me to go and get her, and to beg on my knees if necessary. Love like this is not easy to find and is worth fighting for,"

"Your dad told you that?" I say, almost shocked.

"Yeah, and he knew who you are. He was charmed by you. After you invited me for Christmas, I was having trouble thinking about a gift for you. You told me that your family doesn't do gifts, but I wanted to give you a small something. While talking with Fred, he told me that there is only one thing that you want for Christmas,"

Brett unbuttons his wool peacoat and on his chest, there is a bow taped to it. It is a bit wrinkly and flat, and silver in color.

"Callie, do you forgive me and would you like to be my girlfriend?"

I have never seen so much hope in somebody's face.

"I forgive you, and I would like to be your girlfriend,"

Brett smiles wide and grabs me in a hard hug, crushing the bow between us. He gives me a beautiful kiss and then cuddles me in his arms.