Undercurrents

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson, writer of "A Depiction Of The English Language" ("Johnson's Dictionary") 

KYLE

Dan and I joined Will and Woody at the bar where they were watching a game of soccer. As we watched we ordered several drinks, and soon we were pretty drunk. Will and Dan got drunker (Is that even a word?) faster than Woody and myself so we had to help them back to their rooms.

I was tired so as soon as I stumbled into my own room I almost collapsed. I got undressed and fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. I didn't wake until about ten o'clock. By then the ship had already docked in Morocco but no one had been let out yet. I took a long steamy shower to refresh myself.

I had a head ache from all the alcohol and could only imagine how Dan and Will felt. I wondered if Dan would miss our beach excursion. Will and Woody weren't going to Agadir beach. Instead, they were just going to wonder around and they didn't have to meet a group at a certain time so I didn't matter if they slept their hang overs off a bit. On the other hand, Dan and I had to meet the group on the dock at eleven.

After I got out of the shower, I put on my trunks and a mostly white striped gym string tank. I packed a few things for our trip in my backpack and headed to Dan's room to see how he was getting along. We had about half an hour before we needed to be there.

When Dan answered the door I knew he wasn't going with me. He looked half dead and I could tell there was no way he could make it to the Jet Ski rental, let alone actually drive one. He rubbed his head and blinked out of the pitch black room.

"Hurry up and come in or leave. The light is killing my head," he moaned.

I walked in and felt my way through the dark to the little couch. "So, what should I tell the girls?"

"God. I totally forgot. How did I do this? I'm missing out-I was so looking forward to today." As my eyes adjusted to the dark room I could see him holding his pounding head in his hands. He sighed.

"Don't worry, man. We'll do it again sometime. Plus, you could sleep a few more hours and meet up with Will and Woody."

He looked up and his face pretty much said, "You know I wasn't talking about the Jet Skis." He rolled his eyes and winced. "Just tell Emma that I'm sorry. Okay?"

"'Course. Get some sleep." I rose and opened the door letting the light stream in. "I'm gonna' grab a bite in the buffet before I leave."

He moaned from either the bright light or the thought of food. As I left I heard him say, "Thanks, Kyle."

I walked out of the ship and on the dock a bout fifteen minutes before the group was supposed to leave. Becky and Emma were nowhere to be seen so I sat on the concrete near the tour guide and a few other people and I waited.

EMMA

I woke up at about nine in the morning, thanking God that Becky wasn't awake. I tip toed around so I wouldn't wake her and have to listen to her non-stop talking.

I dressed in a two piece green and gold full bathing suit and slipped green sun dress over my head. I stood in the mirror admiring the colour of my green bathing suit cover with my strawberry blonde hair. I frowned when I realized the sun had bleached my hair making it look more blonde than red. I applied just a dab of foundation because I had a feeling it would get washed off anyway. I also wore my waterproof mascara and clear sunscreen chap stick. I fishtail braided my hair down my back. I smiled and pinched my cheeks.