21.

||M||

Wednesday 12th March, 2014.
1:03pm, Central London.

"Madeline, sweetheart, it really is you!"

I'd never known what the hug of my own Mother felt like, a younger body of myself thirsting for the day she'd find me and I'd be able to hug her. But each day went by, and so did my patience.

I had no hope for my Mother. She hadn't put in one thought on how I'd feel when I was older and mature. Leaving her own child on the steps of an orphanage, I don't know how she had the courage to do that. I wondered what had led her to such a point as to leave me.

Amongst all this, I couldn't pull myself to hate her. It may not have been her fault, maybe she was compelled to do it. Maybe she was too young. Maybe my Father wasn't up to look after the baby that would've been referred to as his daughter.

And when I thought about that, I must've been a disappointment to my parents before I was even born.

But then I met Anne.

She'd given me so much more love than I'd expected in my lifetime, treating me like her daughter and always being there when I needed her. When I needed the hug of a mother or when I needed advice in the form of a listening friend.

Being in her arms now, I felt as if I was home again.

"I knew you'd come back." She whispered, her hand stroking my hair. "I missed you a lot." I replied, my eyes gathering some tears as she now held me at arms length.

"You've become such a beautiful young lady." I smiled slightly at her compliment, the corner of her lips turning.

"Mrs Twist, should I call-" the bulkier man that came with Anne had intervened, my eyes growing large as I immediately knew who he was talking about.

"No. Nothing is to be spilt. I'll tell him myself. Just give me a couple minutes, Paul." I knew I'd seen him somewhere.

It was last year when I'd taken Katie to see the boys at the movies. I may have been a bit down about her Father, but it didn't mean that I'd cut off all types of connections with him.

It was bad enough that I'd gone away.

And I still regret that stupid decision of mine.

I'd always made Katie listen to the boys' albums, I'd let her get anything she wanted related to them. Just because I couldn't forget the one that had stolen my heart.

"Lovey, where were you all these years?" I couldn't stare into Anne's eyes when she asked me this question, so much regret and so much guilt clouding my face as I looked down.

"I'm sorry, Mrs-" Chris had paused, forgetting her surname.

"It's Twist." The older woman replied with a smile that still seemed so young and refreshed. She hadn't aged a day.

"Right, I'm sorry Mrs Twist, but do you mind not asking that question? Like now. She might be a bit overwhelmed, with Katie here and all." He'd toned his voice down at the mention of my daughter, myself turning my head to see what she was up to.

"Mommy, are you staying?" She whimpered, her eyes glossy of tears and lips trembling. I went over to her bed and sat close next to her, my fingers running softly through her ever blonde hair.

"I'm not leaving until you're up and running for pickles." My lips pressed a kiss to the temple of her forehead, holding her in a hug right after.

"Mommy's never leaving your side ever again, baby." I looked down at her, remembering the day she was born.