Chapter 9

Lauren's POV

You know that feeling when you can't wait for something to happen and then it actually happens and you feel overjoyed? Well that's pretty much how I'm feeling right now.

A wide grin is plastered on my face. My head is bowed down to hide my face and I'm not paying attention to my surroundings, my mind preoccupied.

Suddenly, my head collides with someone's hand and a second later a hard object falls on my toes. I bend over to cup my foot, surprised by the abrupt pain.

"My phone," a loud voice cries out right next to my ear. The girl I apparently bumped into quickly squats to grab the phone that is now lying on the floor. Eyes glued to the object in her hands, she doesn't notice me still standing next to her and all I can see before her head bangs into mine, is a lot of blond hair.

"Hey, don't you watch out?! Couldn't you see I was taking a selfie, bih?" The tall girl in front of me asks not too friendly.

Rubbing my head to soothe some of the pain, I finally make eye contact with the other. The girl in front of me is pretty tall and athletically built, she looks like an Island girl. Her cheekbones are perfectly contoured and she has a very nice jawline. Her skin tone combined with her beauty actually reminded me a little of Beyoncé. The comparison my mind made reminds me of the girl Ally pointed out during lunch the other day, the girl who's friends with Camila, I forgot her name though.

"I'm sorry, I was distracted and wasn't really looking out. I hope your selfie still turned out okay though, I mean if you're in it, it'd probably be impossible to be bad," I smile kindly.

"Hmm," she squints her eyes. Cocking her to the side, she tries to detect possible sarcasm in my voice. When she can't find any, she grabs my arm and pulls me next to her. "You don't look too bad yourself, so we're taking one together and then you'll be forgiven for almost breaking my phone," she winks.

"Alrighty then, that's easy. I think I can do that." Grateful that other girl isn't mad at me for making her drop her phone, I turn my body towards the camera. Somehow, whenever I'm feeling great and a picture gets taking of me, I stick out my tongue. I don't know why I do it and I'll probably never find out either.

The stranger takes a few selfies while we make a bunch of silly faces.  Satisfied with the results, she nods in contentment. She turns around and starts heading towards her next destination.

"Hey," I shout, aiming to regain her attention. "What's your name?"

The girl turns her body around, but keeps walking further away. "I'm Dinah Jane," she simply shouts back.

"Nice to meet you, Dinah Jane, I'm Lauren."

"Oh, trust me, I know," she smirks and winks before turning back around, leaving me standing by myself. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion for a second, but deciding not to break my head over it, I just shake it off and go back to my joyful mood.

--------

Ally is already standing by my locker with her back towards me. Her head is bowed down, assumingly focused on something she's holding.

I use the ninja skills I picked up from sneaking out of the house all the time to creep up on her. "So whatcha doin'?" I ask when I'm standing right behind her, startling the smaller girl.

Apparently my ninja skills also include super fast reflexes, though I might have gained those from skating and not sneaking out. My hand shoots out just in time to prevent a second phone from falling on the ground this morning.