Chapter 3

Lauren's POV

I wonder if it's humanly possible to go any slower. I'm pretty sure that if I were to race a snail right now, the snail would win. Ally would probably sooner say something mean, then I would reach the cafeteria.

I honestly can't believe how slow people are walking right now. I feel a strong urge to bend over and just ram everyone in the hallway, so I can actually move forward.

It's lunchtime and I can't wait to get to the cafeteria, so I can possibly see her face. Not that I'm superficial or something, I just want to be able to put a face on the person I like.

I'm getting incredibly annoyed with the slow pace I am moving at and all the people bumping into me. Luckily I spot Ally in the crowd and quickly make my way over to my best friend, before she gets crushed.

When she notices me coming over, she jumps and waves excitedly, earning a light chuckle. Her reaction to seeing me managed to bring a small smile to my face, despite my annoyed mood. "What's gotten you so excited?" I chuckle.

"Prepare yourself Lo, because you're about to get even more excited than me," she says. When all I do is give her a confused look, she continues: "I'll give you a hint, she's wearing blue jeans and a white crop top."

My eyes widen and I have to try really hard to keep my cool, which I must admit is harder than I had expected. "What do you mean? Did you see her? Did you talk to her? What does she look like? Do you know her name?" Okay, I failed miserably.

"I think I crossed her in the hallway on my way to third period. I didn't talk to her and I don't know her name, she's Latina, she has a really pretty smile and big brown eyes," ally answers my questions.

"I bet she's beautiful," I sigh softly.

"She is," Ally smiles at me "I don't know her name, like I said, but I have a class with one of her friends."

"Do I know her?" I ask.

"Maybe, she's not that popular though, her name is Dinah," Ally happily answers yet another question.

"No, doesn't ring a bell."

We finally make our way into the cafeteria and got into the line to get our food. I absentmindedly look around, until Ally nudges my shoulder to get my attention. "That's the girl from my class, the girl who's friends with her," she says, pointing to a girl with blond hair.

She's sitting alone at a table and is seemingly waiting for her friends to arrive. She's distracted by her phone, so she doesn't notice me staring at her. From what I can see from where I'm standing, she's pretty tall and has amazing cheekbones. From this angle, she kind of looks a little like Beyoncé, with her bronze skin and nice jawline.

"Let's go sit near her table, maybe we'll see my mystery girl," I say to Ally, who nods in approval.

We get our food and walk over to the table next to Dinah's, sadly there were only places left with their back towards her table.But I guess they're better than nothing, so we sit down.

"So, did you text Troy yet?" I ask, trying to distract  myself from the table behind me.

"Lauren, he literally gave me his number only a few hours ago," she laughs, "I don't want to seem desperate.

"If the person I liked gave me their number, I wouldn't hesitate to text them," I simply say.

"But what if he thinks it's weird?" When all I do is shrug, she looks down for a minute. "Have you ever liked someone so much that when they're around you, you get super nervous and your hands start to sweat. Like all want to do is look at them because somehow whenever you look at them, they're the only thing you see. When I look at Troy from a distance and he suddenly sort of looks in my direction, my vision gets blurry because I get so nervous. Have you ever felt something like that?"

I shake my head no, when I liked someone in the past, I had always been pretty confident. I never understood what people were talking about when they said being around other people they liked, made them nervous.

"When you feel like that, you'll understand why I don't want to freak him out. I don't want to mess something up that isn't even there yet."

This leaves me in thought for a while. The guy sitting next to me drops his fork, startling me so I'm immediately pulled back to reality.

"Guys, she doesn't even know who I am. All I am to her is a random girl she passes on her way to school," I hear a girl say behind me.

"Mila, give us something to work with here. Why are you always trying to crush our hopes and dreams? We are just as invested in this ship as you are," a second girl says.

"Dinah is right Camila, we want Camren to sail and you're making it hard for your captains right now," yet another girl says.

"You guys really are impossible," the first girl sighs, "the skater girl and the musician, what a great combination," she says sarcastically," she probably doesn't even know my name."

"Then introduce yourself next time you get the chance," the third girl says.

"Yup, listen to Mani," Dinah says. I hear them high five and then the sound of chairs scraping over the floor.

I quickly turn around to see Dinah and two other girls standing up. One of Dinah's friends is wearing the blue jeans and white crop top I've been thinking about all day.

When I look up, at her face, I know that I'm not finished thinking about her just yet. My faceless mystery girl just got a face and it's more beautiful than I could've ever imagined.