Chapter Seventy Four

Melanie stayed in the meeting room until everyone else was gone. Then she made her  move, climbed onto the stage at the front of the room and searched the podium for anything useful. There was nothing, no notes, no papers, no anything. The door to her right opened up and two guards entered the room, stopped just inside the door, looked straight at her with uncertainty.

"Please come with us," One of them said, one of his arms held behind his back.

Melanie bobbed her head up and down without speaking, letting them hear her voice was too risky, even though she was sure they already knew exactly who she was. Planning time, if she saw the light blue door again, she knew to turn and run. Even though she was outnumbered,  even though there was no chance at all of her getting away, even though she didn't know the halls well enough to maneuver longer than a couple of minutes without completely losing herself, she had to try and escape, it was her best bet. The guards let her go out first; the one with both hands free grabbed Melanie's right arm and led her down the hall, turned a corner and then continued on into the endless maze.

Turn after turn they went through the building. Finally they reached a hallway with a lavender door at the end. She wasn't sure if she could trust this room either; colorful doors never lead anywhere good in this place, but the guard behind Melanie pushed her onward, closing the distance between her and the room on the other side. The door swung open before they even reached it. Two more guards came out, one of them rolled a wheelchair in front of him, his friend prepared to subdue her at any moment.

Melanie backed her elbow into the gut of the guard carrying an item behind his back; then she turned and kneed the other in the balls. She backed up. Someone grabbed her from her side and shoved her in the direction of the two guards with the wheelchair who sprinting after her. The guard grabbed her again and shoved her down into the chair; then they hooked the straps and  wheeled her toward the room, past the lavender door, into the doctors room.

"Stop!" Melanie screamed, pulling against the straps. "Let me go!" But they didn't listen; she wasn't even sure if they could hear her. After the door shut behind her, one of the guards released her and quickly hooked her onto a medical bed. A door on the other side of the room swung open, revealing the light blue paint on its surface. This was the exact same room she had run from earlier. They had gone around in a circle. Melanie still had one question: why had it taken them so long to retrieve her? Why had they let her attend the meeting?