Chapter Sixty One

"Mrs. Eckling," Chloe's mother said wrapping her arms around her new teacher. "It's been so long since the last time I saw you." The two of them were finally reunited; Chloe hadn't even known about this woman's existence until shortly before her first day of the second grade.

    "I know," Mrs. Eckling replied; then she bent down and squeezed Chloe's cheeks. She pulled back and stepped closer to her mother, fearing the year ahead with this woman. She let out a laugh and brushed a wild strand of hair behind her ear. "It's so good to see you, and I didn't even know you had this little cutie."

    "This is Chloe," Her mother answered, nudging her towards her new teacher. Chloe reached her arm out and shook Mrs. Eckling's hand.

    "I think we're going to be good friends."

    "Okay," Chloe said, eyeing the room curiously. She was looking for Emily or Janice, hopefully Lainey was in the same class as her, but she didn't see any of them. It crossed her mind that they had shown up early, only four other kids were in the room. Her friends just hadn't arrived yet.

    The room was smaller than Chloe was used to, most of her classes had been large, extremely large for the few amount of kids in the class, but she never complained. Chloe liked the extra space, it made fun and games more extravagant. Twelve eyes were glued to her; she only made contact with four of them, her mother's and Mrs. Eckling's.

    "Well, I guess we can go ahead and begin class," Mrs. Eckling stated. She walked to the front of the room and turned the board on before images flashed upon its screen. A room came into view, one with two chairs, a couch, and a TV. There were stairs and a camera in the corner of the room. A couple of picture frames hung on the walls with inspirational quotes for motivation. Chloe's mom gave her one last hug before leaving the room, shutting and locking the door behind her. "Shall we start with introductions?"

    The five kids looked to each other and then took their seats at desks in a row next to teach other. Chloe sat in between the two girls and the two boys sat further away on her left; no one said anything more, so their teacher spoke for them. "This is going to be a very exciting year."