Chapter Two

The pounding in her head. The bright lights. The white room. Chloe looked around as she pulled herself into a crossed leg sitting position. She was back where she started. In the room, chained to the wall, with the other girl sitting across from her, awake. She blinked her eyes a few times to make sure she wasn't deceiving herself, but she wasn't. The other girl was staring right back at her, her eyes filled with terror and fear, afraid of the unknown, of Chloe.

Chloe needed to reach out to her. Not physically, but with words. She wanted to make the other girl know she wasn't alone in all of this. She wanted to give comfort to this girl, even though she didn't know her. They were both trapped here, bound to the wall. Chloe stared intently at the girl and saw something flicker through her eyes. She knew what was going on. This girl knew more than she did. This was her best chance at getting answers. It only took her a second to open her mouth and think of a question, but the other girl's words stopped her.

"I suppose you're new here," The girl said. Chloe nodded in response; she didn't know how else to answer. "Well then, I guess no one has given you the proper welcome." Her face didn't seem to express any emotion near happiness, but Chloe wasn't one to judge. She needed this girl more than ever; she needed to know what was happening.

Chloe shook her head and asked, "Where are we?"

"Welcome to hell," The other girl answered with a sickening smile growing on her face. "You better put a smile on your face, they're coming." Her smile grew and grew, and then she looked towards the door and waited. Chloe didn't need any further explanation. She trusted this girl just enough to do what she said, besides, it wasn't going to kill her to smile. It took her a moment to conjure one up, but after she did, she knew it was one convincing grin; the best she'd ever had.

Chloe put a smile on her face just as the door opened and two of the men in black wearing the masks entered the room, carrying trays with food. Each one of them sat a tray down a few feet in front of the door. One close to Chloe and one close to the other girl, but they didn't make any form of contact with them before leaving the room in a haste as if they thought the two of them would try something. Chloe wanted to hurt them, to ask them a million questions, but she knew they wouldn't have answered. She wouldn't have been able to reach them anyways, trying would've been pointless. It would've wasted the tiny bit of energy she had in her. They had stayed back on purpose. They knew their limits; they knew what was going on.

"Really, where are we?" Chloe asked a couple of minutes after the men left. The two of them had already grabbed their trays and retreated back to their corners to eat. The other girl had almost finished her food by the time Chloe had taken a few bites. It must've been a long time since she had eaten. It made her wonder how long she'd been here, how long she herself would be here. And where were they?

"I already told you," The other girl answered after her food was gone, she licked her lips and stared down at Chloe's tray. She wasn't at all satisfied with being question.

"Here," Chloe said; she stood up and took the tray as close to the other girl as she could. The girl met her halfway and took the tray without another word or question. The food was gone in moments, and then there was silence. But Chloe wanted answers. She thought giving up her food would be a good enough gesture to earn her something, but considering where she was, she considered the possibility of it being a mistake. She had just given up her only food for who knew how long, for all she knew, they were only given a meal once every few days. Chloe had only taken a few bites out of hers. After a few minutes her stomach gave a quiet rumble, telling her she had made a huge mistake. Chloe knew next time not to give it up so easily, at least, not if she didn't know whether or not she would gain any information in return. And the other girl didn't seem too keen on giving up any information.

"It was my sixteenth birthday," The girl said after what seemed like an hour, but Chloe wasn't quite sure. There wasn't a clock in the room, yet she had been trying to keep track of the seconds as they went by. She lost track after forty minutes, it was harder than it looked, especially with her hunger growing by the minute. Giving up her food was definitely something she wasn't going to do again. After all, food was more important than friends. The girl's words brought Chloe out of her thoughts, "It was supposed to be all fun and games, but I tripped over something." She looked up to Chloe with tears in her eyes; they rolled down her face as she finished. "And then I woke up here."